Hubby had band removed and VSG done this morning!

Kiki_2007
on 10/1/13 8:40 am - WA
VSG on 07/01/14

My husband had the band placed about 7 years ago.  He initially lost only about 35 lbs.  But he couldn't get ANY food down--no matter how much he chewed--without something hot to drink.  A huge no-no.  I can't count the times I stood behind him pounding on his back to get the stuck food up.  Every time he got a fill it was the same.  Finally had it unfilled and gained 100 lbs.

They went in this morning to see if everything was good enough to take it out and do the sleeve.  The doctor told me it would be between a 2-4 hour surgery.  It was less than 2.  Barely any scar tissue and no slippage, so he went ahead with the VSG.  He is at a surgery center and I'll pick him up in the morning.  They say they have nurses on staff at night---I was hoping it wasn't just a janitor on duty to watch him!

He wasn't in much pain, however the nausea was bad.  They were giving him meds for that and by the time I left to come home he was feeling better.

Thanks to all of you on here and the years of research, I feel pretty informed.  I will see how he does and then get a VSG also, now that our insurance pays for it. 

I took pictures of him last night and will continue to do so every week.  We want to put it in a video of him shrinking.  Spinning and shrinking. LOL. Wish us luck, and thank you all for your help and advice, even though you didn't' know you were doing that for me!

Karen

~I know not where I'm going, for the ocean will decide.
It's not the destination, but the glory of the ride.~
jenlaur1
on 10/1/13 9:46 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

good to hear that your husband is doing so well.  He's going to do so much better with the sleeve...I am!!  :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views