Hopefully going to post my 1 year surgiversary pictures

mycheeka1
on 10/1/13 11:17 am

I had my VSG on September 24, 2012.  I can remember doing so much research on this website and doing my homework on my surgeon and still being scared the morning of surgery. So scared, because this is a permanent thing that I was doing. what happens if I hate my new life? What happens if it doesn't work for me? I would be the freak that it wouldn't work on or I'd only lose a very small amount of weight or my stomach would be picky for the rest of my life what I could eat. 

Thank God all of my fears were not warranted. I went through my surgery with flying colors and made it through my modified diet for the first month post op mostly unscarred ( I thought on the last day of only having protein shakes, that I would die if I didn't chew something). For the first couple of weeks, I was more tired than usual, but tolerable. I would take little walks with my family each day.  Slowly I started to exercise on a treadmill when I got okay from my surgeon. It was nothing to write home about initially, but it was better than what I have been doing in the past (which was nothing). Each month, I would be amazed at the weight that was still coming off. My surgeon said that a realistic goal for me was to lose 105 pounds within the first year. When I had lost almost 95 pounds around 6 months post op, my surgeon was very pleased and said that I needed to keep doing what I was doing. 

A year later, I have lost 154 pounds and am still exercising 3 times a wee****pt my exercising schedule realistic. I didn't want to set myself up for a feeling of failure. that workout schedule is doable for me. I exercise with my husband and sometimes even my son. My son is 13 and his goal was for us to run together by having this surgery. We haven't done that yet, but its just me holding back because of the extra skin. He is already reaping the benefits of a healthier, happier and more active mom. My husband is definently enjoying the benefits of a much more active wife. He tells me that he feels like he is cheating on me with me. We have been married for 24 years and he has truly loved me through thick and thin. I love the fact that I am a much more active participant in our everyday life. Going up and down stairs, helping with dishes, dinner or whatever it is, I know that i am up for the challenge.

We have traveled ALOT this past year. I love to explore new places and do new things that I never thought I would do. I went dogsledding, rode on a sea doo with my husband, snowmobiling, hiking, flying on a plane without a lap extender and even able to put down tray in front of me with room to spare. I still eat 1 chocolate chip cookie every month on that TOM(need my chocolate then), but the difference is that  I am happy with 1 cookie. That is one major thing that this surgery has taught me; be happy with a small amount of whatever. 

If anyone is thinking about getting this surgery, run, do not walk to your surgeon. It will be the best decision that you ever made!!!!! You will actually start living your life again. I am posting a before picture and my picture of me on my 1 year anniversary. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask me anything. I want everyone to have this surgery and start loving life again!

Joy

All things are possible through Christ!

Joy M.
on 10/1/13 1:43 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

Thanks for sharing! That's my name too! Congrats on the weight loss!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 159 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 431 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 453 views