Good or Bad??

ABath
on 10/12/13 2:06 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

I'm pre-op (everything done and submitting to insurance next week) and I'm trying to incorporate post-op changes now as much as I can which has already resulted in a 19 lb loss. Yay!!!

I have been following high protein, low carbs and I found Hormel Cure 81 Cubed Boneless Ham. It is 60 calories for 2 oz, 1 carb, and 10 GRAMS of protein. The problem is that is has 730 mg of sodium. Since I'm pre-op, I'm doubling the portion size and eating 4 oz for breakfast for a total of 120 calories, 20 grams of protein, 2 carbs, but 1,460 mg of sodium.

My question for the vets (or anyone else who knows the answer) is if the sodium is bad and going to trip me up? I haven't seen a lot on the boards on this subject and I don't want to stall my weight loss by retaining fluids due to salt intake. On the plus side, because it is cubed, I put it in a condiments cup and practice eating one piece at a time and it is also a good size for post-op eating.

Thanks for any input. I'm trying to learn and make as many changes as I can now.

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

mickeymantle
on 10/12/13 2:27 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sodium will make you retain water temporarily, but the ham is a good source of protein , I have been eating 4 oz of ham or roast beef since about 1 1/2 month after getting my sleeve 

shrimp is an other great protein source and Gordens makes a grilled Tilapia  that has 4 oz portions 

there are some low sodium  ham and also turkey out there but you need to shop around for them 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

ABath
on 10/12/13 2:33 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

Thank you for your reply. This is good to know. I'm not a big sweet eater (especially early in the morning) so yogurt and protein drinks are not going to do it for me long term. I'm trying to find alternatives such as eggs, turkey sausage, etc... Hopefully, getting all of my fluids in will help me not retain too much.

mickeymantle
on 10/12/13 2:44 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I use string cheese as an evening snack if Im low on protein 55 cal each and a  lot of protein (get the low fat kind)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

katym
on 10/12/13 2:49 am - PA

Some people are a lot more sensitive to sodium than others. It might not be a problem for you, but it has a huge effect on me. I have a lot of trouble with edema so I try to avoid obvious sodium and just as importantly increase potassium. The ham does sound good if you are not eating other high sodium processed foods.

Good luck on your journey, hope approval comes quickly....Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

ABath
on 10/12/13 3:24 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

Thanks. I'm trying to watch and not get too much sodium. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the approval - I'm ready to get this done.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/13 2:56 am

It depends.  If you already have a health issue that can be exasperated by eating too much salt, than you need to cut it out.  On the other hand, the current research is quite ambiguous on the harm of salt in the general population.  You will retain water and this will feel like a stall.  So if you eat more salt, drink more water and don't be surprised by the weigh fluctuations.  The best protein for us is lean, homemade and cooked without added fat.

ABath
on 10/12/13 3:36 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

Thank you. I've never been a breakfast eater, other than my Starbucks. When I do eat, it is after I get to the office. I know you are supposed to eat within an hour of waking up, and I have actually started to do this now. I get out of bed at 7:00 and I'm at the office by 8:00. :-) I'm trying to find quick, easy, and portable things that I like so I will actually eat. I like Jimmy Dean's cooked Turkey sausage links but I get tired of them every day. I guess I'll just have to watch and see how my body reacts. Hopefully, I'm getting enough fluids in to counter act anything. I have also set my Outlook to remind me every two hours to get up and do the stairs.

p.s. I have stopped going to Starbucks so don't get me. :-) IF I go now, I have changed from the Venti Carmel Machicatto to the Tall, decaf, sugar free and I haven't had one in two weeks. BUT, here's a question for you... I talked to my NUT and asked if I wanted a treat and to stay away from desserts, what she thought about a decaf, sugar free, vanilla latte with whole milk (and not adding any sweetener). She seemed to think it would be okay and would also let me have a little treat but get in some protein as well. I'm not talking a daily thing, just once in a while. What are your thoughts?  When I do something, I go wholeheartedly so I'm trying to learn beforehand instead of doing something and then learn later that it was wrong.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/13 4:09 am

I am not the food police (at least on most days.  :)  ), but since you asked..... I would not get the full fat.  I would not get the full fat even now in maintenance.  I would get the skim or the one percent latte.  Your taste buds will adjust accordingly if you do this all the time.  

ABath
on 10/12/13 5:34 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

LOl, I know you aren't the food police but I'm one of those people who is willing to learn from others. I also don't mind learning from someone else's mistakes so I look for that also on the boards and how the vets respond. :-)

Thanks for the info. I already usually get the 2% but the NUT suggested whole milk. I would rather have the 1% or 2%. I tried it with skim several times and probably wouldn't order it at all using skim.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views