With flu season approaching...

Smcquithy
on 10/14/13 12:16 pm

With flu season approaching, I am just wondering how catching the flu or other stomach bugs affect us now that we are sleeved? I know it it very important to get fluid and proteins in, but what about times of illness? How does this affect us? And what is the best way to handle such things? I'm just trying to think ahead because it always seems to happen every year in my house that we pass around a stomach bug or something. 

Any advise? 

Stephanie

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/13 2:00 pm

I need to know this exact thing! I will call my nurse tomorrow and ask because the hospital was supposed to give me a flu shot at discharge and they forgot, but being brand new sleeved I am so worried about this, in the mean time I hope those who know reply

pineview01
on 10/14/13 3:07 pm - Davison, MI

I made sure to get my flu shot this year!  They gave me mine at the hospital last year when sleeved.  I never got them before as the couple times I did, I seemed to get sick.

My dd got the flu the first year sleeved and she was very miserable.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Deckeriv
on 10/14/13 9:46 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Got my flu shot last week, no problem. Seems better to not get sick if at all possible and it was free.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

hollykim
on 10/15/13 3:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I treat times of illness post op exactly the way I did pre op. lots of liquids and not any worry about protein or cals,etc. I do notice that I can get dehydrated much worse and much more quickly post op than pre op so I really focus on the. Fluid.

When I have had a stomach virus,the contents of my sleeve stay right in there,just like pre op,until I throw it up. Everything for me is just. Like it was pre op,except the dehydration issue.

Smcquithy
on 10/15/13 11:58 am

Thank you. That is what I was wondering. 

Stephanie

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/13 4:17 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

get some liquid vitamin d.  that helps prevent the flu

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op