Miralax question

G5x5
on 10/17/13 6:40 am - VA

So I'm curious, can someone explain how the dosing for Miralax works with whatever the natural cycle is post-sleeve?

I know with fiber additives or colace you take them 2-3x daily to improve the process.  However, my experience with either has been they don't change the amount of time between cycles and only change the amount of difficulty in the process when it's time.

From the postings I've seen on Miralax, it seems to be more of a laxative and that taking it will create a result in a short amount of time.  I can't follow what I've seen so far about whether it being used daily, every other day or as needed.

And if it's more of a laxative, what's the difference between using Miralax vs. Milk of Magnesia?

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

SassyDeb2013
on 10/17/13 6:57 am
VSG on 10/02/13

Great question! I am having struggles myself in that area and would love to know what would help the best!

justpete
on 10/17/13 7:09 am
VSG on 04/02/13

miralax acts like a soluble fiber, pulling water into your stool while its in your intestines.  This softens the stool and maybe bulks it up a small amount.  stool softeners like colace have similar ingredients and work the same way. supplements like metamucil require a lot of water to be consumed (quickly) in order to be effective (otherwise it will actually stop you up).  they can also cause some discomfort if they swell up in your tiny tummy because you didnt drink enough.

you cannot rely on soluble fiber alone.  it helps for sure but you really need to get some insoluble fiber in your diet.  these swell up in your intestines and help move the small amounts of food along.  I think they actually tickle you intestines a bit also helping the food move.  natural sources are the best (beans, fiber one cereal, whole grain bread/crackers). 

in terms of taking stuff. it's probalby best to just take a stool softener every day for the first 4-6 months to prevent problems. dont take things like senekot fiber pills for more than a week at a time because they make your intestines lazy ... but if you haven't gone in a few days ... it's a nice quick fix.  I try to aim for at minimum of 25g of total fiber a day ... if i could get more in i would.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

tysmom01
on 10/17/13 7:29 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

I had to start taking Miralax once a day in the mornings when I began the solid/soft foods stage postop. I only had to take it for about 2 weeks. Once I was released by my doctor to add more variety of foods into my diet, I became more regular and no longer needed it. I haven't had any problems since. Just be sure to get in your fluids because that helps with keeping things moving too 

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

A. Kondrlik
on 10/17/13 7:32 am
VSG on 01/24/13

After trying many other things I finally tried Miralax at the suggestion of my Dr.  I took one dose (dose on bottle) every evening mixed in flavored water.  I am a big fluid drinker, so I put it in a full liter of water but you only need to use a cup.  You can barely taste the miralax, some people put it right in their protein drinks.  I am down to half a dose every other day. My dr told me you do not become dependant on it, as you can with MOM or senna s.  It is a laxative, but the results are not "explosive" if you get my drift.  Fiber supplements are also good, i took one until my fruit and veggie intake was high enough to give me enough natural fiber.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

rselenesu
on 10/17/13 12:56 pm
VSG on 07/15/13

After experiencing constipation, I took it daily for a bit.  Now I take half a dose every other day, and still working on increasing my fiber.  When I'm more fiber heavy, I skip a day.  So far so good.  At the beginning I took milk of magnesia once in a while too, but now I can't stomach it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 247 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views