Kinda OT: depression

moonglo82
on 10/25/13 1:27 am
VSG on 03/29/12

Thanks Pebbles!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

cappy11448
on 10/24/13 10:51 pm

If you are in a northern climate, you may benefit from more sunlight.  I find i get depressed in the winter, so I make a point to get out and stand with the sunlight on my face for a few minutes every day, and that helps.  I don't get out in the sun enough, so I've started doing this lately, and it helps. 

I also find that reading inspiring books (for me spiritual books) can help me shift my thinking.

good luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

moonglo82
on 10/24/13 11:05 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Hi Carol,

I'm in the south, but you may be right about needing to get outside more.  And I love to read, but honestly I've been spending so much time lately looking for work that I haven't done much of anything else... and that doesn't exactly help my mood lol.  I guess I need to make myself step away from the computer and spend a little time relaxing so I can calm down. 

The problem is that the only work I am doing right now is substitute teaching, and in this district getting assignments as a sub is entirely dependent on being logged into the website where teachers request subs at the exact right moment.  Basically, there are about 100 people fighting over 10-15 jobs on any given day, and if you're not quick on the draw, you miss out... there is no notification system to tell us when to log in to look for work, so basically if you're not on the computer 24/7 and constantly refreshing the screen, you're going to not get any work.  There are the occasional last-minute phone calls, but those are few and far between and are not a reliable source of work.  But it's hard because it seems like anyone who is hiring outside of education doesn't think teachers can do anything other than teach, and educators don't want to hire a teacher with a master's degree to be a parapro (teaching jobs almost never come open for any time of year other than the spring, when they start looking to hire for the upcoming fall, although I am vigilant about looking for that too just in case).  Oh, and BTW... when I am at work, I can't be constantly looking for more work because I can't stay glued to that website and do a good job teaching as well... so I can either stay home and look for work or I can work, but I can't do both without doing a poor job as a sub.  It's really a no-win situation, but I don't see any other way to stay visible to increase my chances for next year.

Wow... sorry for the rant lol. 

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Sandy M.
on 10/24/13 10:59 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Exercise, of course.  And do it outdoors if you can for the sunlight.  I up my Vitamin D over the winter and that seems to help.  I also use a light box in the mornings for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).  Also B12.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

moonglo82
on 10/24/13 11:06 pm
VSG on 03/29/12

Oh... B12... there's something I've been forgetting to take lately!  Good point!  I need to get in more Vitamin D too... I was doing pretty well with taking calcium there for a while, but I've been slacking on that lately, partly because I've been cutting so many things out of my grocery bill (not that the vitamins should have been cut, but when you don't have money...)  Thanks!

KittyKarin
on 10/25/13 12:03 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Hi there!  I was going to suggest exercise and sunlight and everyone already beat me to it! :-) I know that when I am not exercising, that my food choices aren't as good and my depression creeps back in.  I start being less motivated to do anything in my life and I so I have to stay on top of getting my exercise at least 5 times a week.  Doesn't have to be super strenuous but I have to do something.  I love my RunKeeper app that tracks my time, distance and pace of my walking or running.

Also, you may want to check and see if there are any programs in your area that provide therapy options based on your income and will work with you regarding cost.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

moonglo82
on 10/25/13 1:06 am
VSG on 03/29/12

Yeah... I definitely plan to try to get in something tonight, even if it's just walking on the treadmill.  I was really just afraid to do much on that knee before I knew it would heal, especially since I can't afford to go to the dr for every little thing right now. 

The sliding scale thing probably isn't going to work because, on paper, my husband and I look like we're doing quite well, even though that has changed recently.

Thank you!

claimmaster
on 10/25/13 12:46 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I've taken St. John's Wort in the past with amazing results.  I highly recommend giving that a try.  This is what I took, and it was great.  The kind of St. John's Wort you take is very important.  It started helping me within a couple of weeks.

Solgar Standardized Full Potency St. John's Wort '300' Herb Extract Vegetable Capsules, 150 Count

Walmart had anti-depressants for $4 a month.  You would have to see a doctor to get the prescription, though.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

moonglo82
on 10/25/13 1:03 am
VSG on 03/29/12

Thank you so much for the information :) I will definitely look into that specific kind!

And I hadn't thought about generic prescriptions for anti-depressants... Maybe I can dig out the funds to go to the dr for one visit to get a prescription if nothing else works.  Thanks!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/25/13 1:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Several prescriptions are on the $4/month generic list. Prozac is one of them, and it's often one of the first ones tried for mild-to-moderate depression. Paxil is on there as well, which is another common antidepressant. Antidepressants are sort of a trial-and-error process, since there's no way to predict 100% how you'll react to each and what side effects you'll have. (I have bipolar and have been on several different meds with varying success.)

Check for a NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) in your area, or the phone number for the local division in your state. They should be able to help you find a low-cost practitioner in your area who can help you out, they are great at helping with free referrals.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views