First week and constant eating around me ...I am going to lose it!

Losingabc
on 10/26/13 7:28 am
VSG on 10/21/13

I am 5 days post op.  No complaints, healing well, getting liquids in, no pain!  That part is great!  Not being able to eat (chew) is tough.  My husband constantly eats around me -  spoonfuls of peanut butter, snacks and tic tacs.  I get everyone else needs to eat but seriously can you have a little compassion?  I leave the kitchen during meal times and take a walk or find something to do.  

all this constant eating takes place between meals in the living room where I am spending time with him.  I said something to him today but he is muching away on tic tacs as we speak.  I don't even like them but it's making me crazy and angry!

he has never had a weight issue and cannot relate.  I guess this behavior has taken me by surprise.  Frustrating!!

advice welcome:)

stephaniesjourney
on 10/26/13 8:59 am
No advice but some empathy. I was sleeved on the 16th and when I got home there was a fridge full of takeout. Lol and I've got tow little boys that wanna eat and don't know what's really going on. So the chips and sugar are all around!! Fortunately for me.... I'm still nauseous to some extent buts sure woul like to chew on something!! Hang in there girl.... You've got this!!!

Member Services
on 10/26/13 9:15 am - Irvine, CA

Communication is key, keep telling your husband what you need from him in order to be successful.   WLS effects the entire family. Check out our Spouses of WLS Patients Forum and ask your husband to read some of the information that you find there that is helpful to your situation.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/spouses_of_wls_patients/

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

brynn3
on 10/26/13 9:24 am - MI
VSG on 10/16/13
I am ten days post op and sitting at the food court at our mall because I'm going stir crazy at home. I never realized how much food is everywhere. I think today is my hardest day so far. My doc has me on four weeks more of liquids not sure how I'm going to deal with that. They said it would be easy because you're not hungry. Even a piece of sf gum would help but that's a no no still.
Not hungry, but missing food. We'll get through this, one day at a time.
LosingSarah
on 10/26/13 9:37 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I get it. I want something to chew badly, too. I was recently sleeved as well (Oct 16) and I had have a talk with my hubby (also fit) while he eats healthy he was snacking in the living room in front of me between meals. I just said "honey, it is really, really hard for me to sit here and listen to and see you eat in front of me. Eat if you want, just please do it in the kitchen, dining room, wherever. Just not right in front of me"

He's been great since then. :)

pineview01
on 10/26/13 11:00 am - Davison, MI

My DH was great with this.  He "sneaks" out to the kitchen to eat his ice cream.  Once it no longer bothered me, I "sneak" out and "catch" him just to see the guilty look on his face.  He was awesome.  No weight problem for him either.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Losingabc
on 10/26/13 12:13 pm
VSG on 10/21/13

Thanks for the words of encouragement!  It helps to have others who can empathize.  I will keep reminding my husband and know this shall pass.

i just keep saying to myself:  "I can do this!  Eye on the prize!"

rengirl1978
on 10/26/13 12:53 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Are you able to chew some ice? Maybe that would help the need to chew something?

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

kaf320
on 10/27/13 12:58 am

What about a popsicle? So far it's been my go to on my liquid. Just bite and chew.

W. Payne
on 10/27/13 3:19 am
I am 4 days out and doing fine, I find right now that the food smell is turning me away from food. You are right about food being every where, never realized how many food commercials on tv before. I find that chewing on ice keeps my jaw in practice
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views