Second thoughts on having Sleeve vs Bypass!!! HELP!

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 3:35 am

Yes the people who had bypass who are asking me why I'm choosing the sleeve also told me about all the things they can't eat and about the malabsorption issues. When I told them sleeve patients wont get those issues they said, "but your sleeve will stretch!" I'm so concerned about gaining weight after being sleeved...

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

bostonbabe369
on 11/5/13 3:56 am - Stoughton, MA
Most of my friends that had the bypass are gaining their weight back. One of my bypass friends has posted a pic on Facebook of herself eating a big plate of greasy fries and a burger. I was wondering did her pouch stretch out? She can eat anything and large quantities less than 2 years out. She is def not using her tool and has not adapted to a healthy lifestyle. Who am I to judge her? I am going to stick to my plan and be successful. I am not putting in all this work for nothing. I spoke with my surgical coordinator, she said the stomach does stretch. But if you stick to the plan and follow the rules, you will be successful. Haven't had my surgery yet, but I have never been a quitter or believe in negativity. I look at this as a positive, learning experience. I believe in being successful with everything I do.
StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 4:02 am

Wow, I had the same experience this past weekend. One of the people who had the bypass was eating 3 slices of greasy pizza, and a ton of other food as well. They are back to their bad habits, I said if I'm going to put my body through any surgery I'm definitely going to make the most of it and not put myself in a position where I am knowingly off track. I'm sure there will be temptations post-surgery, but I also know that this is just a tool and not the solution! I also mentioned that during these two weeks pre-op that I'm on a strict diet, however they all encouraged me to eat until I couldn't eat anymore since I would not be able to "for awhile" after surgery. I tried to explain that this is a lifestyle change and the change needs to start pre-surgery, but clearly they all disagreed.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only to experience this...

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

bostonbabe369
on 11/5/13 4:32 am - Stoughton, MA
Trust me! You are not alone. I will probably lose some friends once the weight comes off. I will find out who my true friends are down the road. People have been telling me for years I am so pretty. I would look better if I lost weight. When I was thin women seemed to be threatened by me. When I gained weight, I was no longer a threat or the center of attention. As i get older and wiser, I no longer care what people think. I am not superficial or vain.
There will be a lot of jealous people out there who will try to sabotage your progress and efforts. Pay them no mind and keep doing you!
StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 5:11 am

You're so right! One of the guys wives there even made a underhanded comment saying that he cant be around me once I lose the weight and that the husbands will need to stay away! Just ridiculous. 

LosingSarah
on 11/5/13 8:10 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13
On November 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM Pacific Time, StephanieJ wrote:

Yes the people who had bypass who are asking me why I'm choosing the sleeve also told me about all the things they can't eat and about the malabsorption issues. When I told them sleeve patients wont get those issues they said, "but your sleeve will stretch!" I'm so concerned about gaining weight after being sleeved...

The bypass pouch can stretch too!  If you overeat enough, and not stay on the program it can be stretched. Lifestyle change is so important with any of these surgeries. 

You made your decision. Don't let others make you doubt it. I wasn't sure which one I wanted, either, but decided on the sleeve after lots of research, and serious thinking. I'm sure that is how you came to your decision.

Good luck!

Nancybefree
on 11/5/13 4:30 am
VSG on 11/21/12

You can lose a substantial amount of weight with either surgery, as far as I've seen.  It may very well boil down to commitment and one's ability to stay the course and accept the lifestyle changes one has to make.  To paraphrase what Frisco has said lately, it's about maintenance.

Neither surgery provides a convenient magical garbage disposal that permits one to start eating the wrong foods again without consequence.

One of my friends who had a bypass has regained some weight because she discovered she can eat entire sleeves of crackers at one sitting, which reopened the carb floodgate for her.  Another bypass patient about whom I have reliable information has regained almost all of the large amount she lost because her alcoholism returned with a vengeance, and she is drinking her weight back on. 

The one person I know who was sleeved has maintained an over-80-pound loss for more than two years now.  She follows her rules and is highly committed to avoiding regaining. 

That's how I see it, at least.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

bostonbabe369
on 11/5/13 4:39 am - Stoughton, MA
It's totally about being committed. If you're not committed, you're just setting yourself up for failure.
Nancybefree
on 11/5/13 7:04 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Yup.  Why go through all this just to set yourself up to fail??

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 5:16 am

I cannot agree more! For me it's a lifelong journey that started when I decided to have the surgery, not once I have the surgery let me see how far I can push myself to eating unhealthy again! I am so motivated to lose the weight and keep it off. I dont understand why people would put them selves in a situation that they have the surgery but then lose focus and start regaining. As I said before I'm sure there will be temptations, but it's all about the end result and bigger picture for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views