Second thoughts on having Sleeve vs Bypass!!! HELP!

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/13 5:13 am

You will be able to lose well with either surgery. What you have to discover is which surgery in the long run you will be most comfortable with. Me, I chose the VSG because I didn't want my guts rerouted and the malabsorption of essential nutrients bothers me, as does the idea of  having an anastomasis rather than the fully functioning pyloric valve. The thought of having a blind stomach left behind also just bugged me. It's really a personal choice. My reasons are mine. I have a dear friend who loves her RNY. Doesn't understand why I didn't choose that.

Also, a sleeve is less likely to stretch than a pouch because the firmest part of the stomach muscle tissues are used for the sleeve, whereas the fundus (stretchy upper part of the stomach) is used for the RNY pouch. RNY patients have also been studied and it has been shown that in some patients ( a small percentage) the body will adapt part of the upper intestines to hold food when the stomach becomes too filled. Since one of my issues was volume eating, having the pyloric valve in place seemed to be a good strategy for me.

I think both surgeries are very effective. It is wonderful that we have the option which to chose. You just must be certain what it is you want for the long haul.

WLS surgery is also about maintenance, not just losing weight. Which surgery you chose will also have an effect on how you maintain your weight. Either surgery can be "eaten around". I can gain weight very easily by eating cookies, ice cream and other high sugar and refined carbs. Those foods seem to slide right through my stomach and I can seemingly eat volumes of them.

You'll have to commit to a structured eating program with healthy foods that support weight management to maintain your weight loss.

Good luck with your surgery! I have a feeling you already know what it is that you want to do and it is very normal to have second thoughts as your surgery approaches. I know I sure did!

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 5:19 am

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom, you're right my mind is made up to have the VSG. However, this has definitely shown me how not only my weight and body change but other peoples perceptions as well. I am over the moon excited about having my surgery, it's a choice that wasnt taken lightly and therefore it's not only a physical change but also a mental change for me.

Thank you!

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

bostonbabe369
on 11/5/13 5:52 am - Stoughton, MA
Please keep us posted. I am one week away from my surgery. I am so anxious right now. Can't seem to sleep or eat. I've never had surgery before. I know I will be fine. This will be a new chapter in my life. Bring it on!
LosingSarah
on 11/5/13 8:12 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Yes, both of you keep us updated! :)

Annievvho
on 11/5/13 8:27 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13
My surgeon said the VSG has the lowest occurrence of new stomach stretching because instead of being a rounded pouch all the way around, it's a tube that is more resistant to stretching.
MMmom
on 11/5/13 7:45 pm
I was originally going to get bypass because it was the gold standard and you could lose so much weight fast. Also, the people I knew that had surgery all had rny. They pressured me too, but I had to choose what was right for me. Bypass personally scared me. How would I remember to take all those vitamins 30 or 40 years from now. The year to 18 months of malabsorption didn't seem worth the future risk and restrictions to me.

After I got sleeved and started losing weight, I had 2 if my bypass friends admitted to me that they wish they would have been sleeved. One friend's insurance did not over it and the other did not have the option at the time. I think we are all proud of our surgeries, but sometimes we think the grasses is greener on the other side and we get protective of our choices. In the end, we need to pick what is right for us not what others think is riht for us. Good luck on you decision. I know you will make the best choice for you!
lil1inside
on 11/5/13 10:06 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

You've probably already made your decision, but I'll just tell you my story.  My husband had RNY 2 years ago, he is doing fine, but the day I was released from my sleeve, he had a complication and was rushed to emergency surgery.  Something about some type of hernia developed in his intestines where he had the surgery--at any rate, he is fine!  My decision to have the sleeve is what I call a "kids decision"  I saw diagrams of each procedure.  I thought the sleeve look so much more less invasive.  So, really you will be fine with whatever decision you make, complications can arise with any procedure at all.  I had a friend who had the lap band and the port turned around and she had to have surgery for that.  SO, just research, research, you will be worried and scared with whatever procedure you decide, it's normal.

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 11:20 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Research is definitely key to success with any surgery!

Continued success!!

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views