Just as I was getting discouraged...

megan.sherman
on 11/8/13 3:56 am
VSG on 05/17/14

At my last pre surgery consult, the nutritionist told me I had to slow down my weight loss.  It has been very difficult to do and I feel like I am not progressing enough since increasing my calories.  I was getting discouraged.  Today, two people told me that I look "skinny", one of them said she didn't recognize me!  Now, "skinny" is relative, as I am still 286 lb, but that's 50 lb. from my starting point.  So that made me feel better.

Spencerella
on 11/8/13 4:21 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
Just wondering why they want you to slow down your weight loss? That seems odd, so wondering if you have some specific health issue that is negatively affected by quick weight loss?

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Breesus9
on 11/8/13 4:56 am
VSG on 10/04/13

Why do you need to slow down?  Because you will drop below the BMI threshold for approval or something?  Otherwise, I'd think the more weight you can lose safely, regardless of what point you're at, would be great.

VSG 10/4/13 - High 300 - Start 275 - Surgery 268 - Goal 175

megan.sherman
on 11/8/13 5:35 am
VSG on 05/17/14
I am getting close to the bmi cut off and I am not having surgery until March. Once insurance approves me, I can start losing more.
Nikke2003
on 11/8/13 5:38 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Make sure that they have the correct information. I say this because I too had my surgery with Jon Gabrielsen, so I was doing all of my six month supervised diet appointments at the State College Geisinger office. During the supervised diet, the doctor kept insisting that I not lose too much weight because my insurance required at least a 50 BMI to do the sleeve. She was incorrect... the requirement for surgery was a 40 BMI with my insurance - yet she kept insisting! Be sure that you have contacted your insurance company and that you know what they require and be sure the office has the correct information as well!

What is your BMI now?

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

megan.sherman
on 11/8/13 5:52 am
VSG on 05/17/14
I have Geisinger insurance. The bmi cut off is 40. I have about 22 lb before I fall below. I am paying my program fee this month so hopefully soon after my surgery will be approved and I can go back to losing more. I want to be as small as possible before the surgery so that it is as safe as possible.
Nikke2003
on 11/8/13 7:42 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
It's good that you checked and are trying to get as healthy as possible before surgery. If you are close to the 40 BMI, then maybe it is best to listen. Make sure you know when they are submitting to insurance. They didn't send my info for approval until I had met w/ Dr, Gabrielsen and got my date 3 weeks before surgery.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views