To Newbies....from a Newbie (Vets pls feel free to offer input)

ABath
on 11/12/13 1:57 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

I’m a newbie for surgery but I've been reading these boards for several years now (Aetna denied and then hubby left so had to put surgery off for a while). I am now scheduled for surgery on November 26th and thought I would share a few things I’ve learned as a newbie just in case it is helpful. Vets, feel free to jump in if I am incorrect as I don’t want to put bad info out.

I have read so many posts about people having a hard time on the pre-op diet and then struggling with missing favorite foods right after surgery. I knew that I was addicted to caffeine, carbs, and sugar and the withdrawals would be bad, especially with all three at once. I determined that if I was going to have such a drastic surgery that I wanted to succeed and I wanted things to go as smooth as possible. So...I decided to take my 3 month multidisciplinary and waiting time for insurance approval to make as many lifestyle changes as possible.

Let me first say again that I am pre-surgery and my 1 week liquid protein diet starts next Tuesday but I decided my new life style would be easier if I eased into it by my surgery date and didn't go cold turkey. This doesn't mean that I never eat any carbs, sugar, etc. right now but I've gotten down to one or two bites versus a whole serving and I am finding that I they don't satisfy me now. Hopefully, it won't even bother me to make the final few changes by my surgery date on 11/26. 

As of this morning, I have lost 22.2 lbs and 11.5" from where I started this journey in August. I am probably considered a lightweight so that amount is big for me. I haven't even started my exercising (which I know I need to do) - I just made a few small changes and I'm already seeing results. Yes, I ended up with a 3-1/2 week stall which broke this morning but I feel like I'm ahead of the game. I hope this can help someone. Our frame of mind and way of looking at things can make such a difference. I want to eat to live, not live to eat.

I hope this can be helpful and encouraging for someone.

• My biggest pre-surgery NSV was not holding "food funerals." I knew that once I had the flavor of my favorite foods in my mouth I would want them over and over. Most of my favorite foods are things that are high in fat and/or carbs. The one exception was PF Changs crispy green beans. I did go with friends but I ordered them as an appetizer to share and I only ate about 6 of them.
  • Caffeine/soda - This was HARD!!! I had headaches and crankiness for almost a week. I started slow and went from diet Pepsi, to decaf diet Pepsi. Once I had that under control, I went to decaf coffee. I then started ordering my caramel machiatto (sp) decaf with sugar free syrup and 2 % milk. Then I went to from a venti to tall and now I order a decaf, sugar free, tall vanilla latte (to get rid of the whip and caramel) and I stopped going everyday. Now it is twice per month or I make my decaf coffee at home. I love hot tea so I now buy decaf tea bags. After the 1st week of horrible headaches, etc... I have fooled my brain into thinking that I'm having my coffee but I'm no longer dependent on the caffeine. I drink much more water.
  • Protein vs carbs. I love my carbs and starches and could care less about meat but I made a huge change here. I started making my meat portion larger and my carb portion about 1/3 of my usual portion until finally, most days I don't even have a serving of potatoes, etc... I also started using a dessert plate instead of a dinner plate to eat. I went to dinner with friends the other day and they wanted Mexican. I ordered the chicken fajitas, asked them to not bring out the tortillas or rice, and didn't eat any chips. I put the salsa over the meat for the extra flavor and only ate 1/2 of the portion.
  • Using MyFitnessPal.com - This is HUGE! I don't eat a big volume of food to start with but what I was eating was high in calories. This has been a big wake up call for me. I try entering my foods before I eat them and it has changed my mind more than once before I have even taken a bite. Case in point - my cookie was 170 calories. I changed from eating one cookie to one tiny nibble (and I do mean nibble) now I don't even eat that.
  • Sugar - I have pretty much completely switched from sugar to stevia. I prefer the liquid stevia which can be purchased in  small plastic bottles of stevia (check grocery or stevita.com) in many flavors for just a few dollars. I have removed sugar so much from my diet that I purchased and individual packet of M&Ms the other day and could only eat 3. I purchased the chocolate, chewable, calcium citrate so I wait to take it until my daily 3:00 chocolate craving kicks in. It tastes like a tootsie roll so my brain thinks it is getting candy but I'm actually getting my vitamin.

Height: 5'1" HW: 229 SW: 203 CW: 147.7

VSG on 06/12/13
You are doing wonderful things. I'd advise them to anyone in the process. Keep up the fantastic work.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

ABath
on 11/12/13 2:21 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

Thank you!

StephanieJ
on 11/12/13 2:17 am

I couldn't help but smile while reading your post. I am basically going through the same thing and my clutch has been chocolate!! I LOVE chocolate. I was also told that I was a "lightweight" and discouraged by many to not have the surgery. I'm also 5'1 and yesterday my CW was 206.8 also (what a coincidence!) My surgery is set for 11/20!! Getting very excited, but also going through some difficulty of not cheating during my pre-op diet. My surgeon allows his patients to eat a 1200  calorie diet while pre-op, but I wanted to push myself with a almost complete liquid diet. I've been doing 2 protein shakes a day and then a light dinner, like a Lean Cuisine or something of that sort.

It's also been hard to give up coffee with sugar. I'm so used to going to Dunkin and requesting a French Vanilla, light and sweet of course! I pass several DD throughout my day and it has been so difficult to not give in and get my French Vanilla light and sweet! LOL

Glad you are on the right track and good luck with your surgery!!

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

ABath
on 11/12/13 2:23 am - WI
VSG on 11/26/13

Oh Wow! You have to let me know how you're doing since you are a few days ahead of me. It sounds like you are doing great and I can't wait to hear your progress. It is always helpful when you have someone who stats are close.

StephanieJ
on 11/12/13 2:49 am

Yes definitely! I haven't been able to find anyone with stats like mine. For some people its hard to relate when we don't have over 100 lbs to lose. I will definitely keep you posted. I'll send you a friend request shortly.

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

danixbanani
on 11/12/13 2:29 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Something to add to this: realize how much money you're going to spend post-op!!! This was a big change in my life!  You're spending more on groceries because of protein and healthy, fresh veggies in addition to getting clothes for your changing body!  I had a shopping problem before but MAN it hit me hard post op.  I've tried to curb my shopping a bit here but it's so hard when you're losing all this weight and you want new, fun clothes. 

You're doing great and I wish you continued success!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

StephanieJ
on 11/12/13 2:51 am

You're right, I never thought about that!! It will be hard to have good fitting clothing. When do most people see their weight level out? Working in a professional atmosphere, it'll be difficult to come to work sloppy looking :-(

danixbanani
on 11/12/13 2:58 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

The weight tapering off is different for everyone.  I've been at a stand still since around 10 months out but that's partly (mostly) my fault.  Now I'm struggling to get a few more pounds off but like I said, everyone is different!  I shop the HELL out of a clearance rack or outlet stores.

Some people do clothing swaps or shop goodwill but that's just not for me.  Nothing against it really, just not for me.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

AutumnAlways
on 11/12/13 3:01 am
Dani I just went to your blog and saw your selfie. You look fantastic!! No wonder you love shopping so much.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views