TLC shows on obesity

min2758
on 12/4/13 3:06 pm - Boise, ID

Whenever I watch a show on obesity and they show a surgical procedure, it seems unreal to me that I was on that table a few weeks ago.  A few LONG weeks ago.  Crazy!  I went under before they even wheeled me to the OR.  The anesthesiologist said he was giving me something to relax me but wouldn't put me under till I was in the room.  And thats the last thing I remember before waking up. lol   I have NO frame of reference for surgery but when I watch one on tv, I'm still in awe that all that was done to me!  Surgeons are amazing people.

Annievvho
on 12/4/13 3:35 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I don't remember much after the anesthesiologist said that same thing to me, but I remember like 3 things. I tried to talk to him about the drug, when I went into the OR, music was playing - they asked if it bothered me, and I said no I thought it was cool, and them having me transfer to the surgical table. 

cappy11448
on 12/4/13 8:31 pm

Hi,

All I remember is the anesthesiologist saying she had given me something to relax me.  They started pushing my bed out and we went through the double doors.  I don't remember what was on the other side of the doors!  I was out.  The next thing I remember was a nurse asking me how much pain I was feeling.

What a life-changing experience. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Chrissy W.
on 12/4/13 8:57 pm, edited 12/4/13 8:57 pm - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

I must not have been given much "chill juice," because I remember pretty much everything from the time that the anesthesiologist gave it to me until they put the mask on me to really knock me out in the OR. I was joking with the nurses when one asked me if my feet were covered well enough. When I told her to watch out because my feet are REALLY ticklish, the last thing I remember is her saying, "Oh, is that so??" and running her nail up my instep!! Then the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery and trying to asks the poor, young male nurse if there had been a hernia to repair. I must not have been making sense because he said he didn't know and walked away! I can only imagine how completely incoherent I was... That or I may have asked that question a bajillion times!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Sandy M.
on 12/4/13 9:24 pm, edited 12/4/13 9:25 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Ooh, this is fun.  I remember everything right up the knock-out juice.  I made the OR guys put pillows under my knees so my knees wouldn't hurt for the whole 30 seconds I'd still be awake.  I was joking with them so that I would resist the urge to climb off the table and run out of there!

I woke up in recovery - couldn't open my eyes, but my hearing was just fine.  I had brought my CPAP with me as ordered, and the nurse was concerned because with it on my oxygen levels would drop.  So another nurse was showing them how to hook up oxygen directly through my CPAP.  Such a vivid memory.

My brother visited me that day and said that I was slurring my words so badly he could hardly understand me, but I was still very talkative!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/13 10:25 pm
VSG on 07/11/13

I remember them transferring me to the table and having this scared feeling and one of the residents grabbed my hand and told me that it would be ok.  She held it until I was out.  The next thing I remember is being in recovery and feeling like something was stuck in my throat.  I kept signing "S-T-U-C-K" and heard someone ask  if anyone knew sign language.  After that I don't remember much until my mother came back to see me. 

BayouMama
on 12/5/13 2:45 am

I agree I watch them on tv and I am glued to the screen!  I love the little alligator looking stomach cutter/stapler. So neat. 

I remember all the way up until the countdown.  The nurse in the OR even commented when I was talking and transferring over to the surgical table if I had received  my versed yet, I answered- yep, she said well it hasn't caught you yet has it. I said no, I feel scared that I am so alert and straight feeling.  Someone else said- we are going to take care of that right now.  they strapped my arms down, put the mask on my face and started giving me something in my IV again and the anesthesiologist said- deep breaths- deeper, good. Now count down from 10 slowly down to 1 .  I said okay - 10- 9 - and woke up hard, wide awake in recovery with a nurse digging under my gown looking at my cuts,  I popped my head up and said- lemme see! Do I have a drain? She said - no, no drain.  I said oh, thank you and laid back down.  that's all I was worried about - a drain!   LOL  

Another thing that was funny was preop when they were asking me all the routine stuff in holding, I had surgery at a teaching facility and was interviewed and assessed by a lot of residents. This one resident was interviewing me, and he asked when was the last time I had something to eat I said Friday night well before midnight. ( Now this was Monday morning around 10am)   He looked at me and his eyes were huge- he said- WHY! the nurse said that's the preop for this surgery, they don not eat for several days.  He said oh man that's rough, good job.  LOL  The nurse added- it will all be worth it ;)

Mrs_Desire _
on 12/5/13 5:09 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

OOOOhhhhh fun!!!! 

Okay so I was also joking around with the male nurse and anesthesiologist. He gave me a little MARGARITA juice as he stated before rolling me into the OR.

There was some smooth jazz playing and the two dudes asked me to move onto the operating table. I told the anesthesiologist that he didn't give me enough juice cause I am nervous and IT IS COLD AS HEYLL in this ROOM MAN!!! Then I proceeded to ramble about why hospitals have to make it so freaking cold and that it is not REALLY killing any germs. Etc... etc... (Nervous Ramble) And they was just sniggling laughing at me.

Then the dude said "OKAY!!! LIGHTS OUT!!!!"  I was out in like I don't know how many seconds. 

I woke up already in my room. I looked over at my mom, brother and sister in law. They was cracking jokes. About WHAT I have no freaking clue. I fell back to sleep but I remember hearing my brother say "Well she back out so we going to go."

When I woke back up my mom told me "They keeping you two days chick NOT one!!! He had to scrap more scar tissue."

Then I was back to sleep land AGAIN. I had the OnQ pain pump thing on plus the push button pain releaser. Some how that day, I discovered LAST WEEK, that I did a video of me talking the two days. Shyt I don't EVEN much remember doing that video and NO ONE shall see that video either. My hair was EVERYWHERE!!!

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 358 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views