PRE-OP diet rant

laviecharmee
on 12/5/13 4:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

Today is day 4..... 10 days to go.  I WANT TO CHEW SOMETHING SO BAD!!!  If I was an exceptional patient I would be only having 3-4 protein shakes a day and water. It is "ok" to have broth or cream soup "if you need to". I know it is necessary..... (thought I do think that 14 days is a bit much) and I know that this is preparation for what is to come AFTER surgery, but I can help but think that after surgery it will be just a tiny bit easier since my stomach wont be the size of Texas!   It's not that I am even craving bad food.... I am fine passing up the sweets and carbs what I really want is some meat, or cheese or beef jerky !   ARRRRGGHHHHH!   I may end up eating my own arm at this rate!!!

~ Kim     Never take away someone's hope, it may be all they have left

(DEC  -19)  (JAN  -16.4)  (FEB  -9.2)  (MAR -13.5)  (APR -4.8)  (MAY -4.6)  (JUN -8)

Donna3397
on 12/5/13 4:27 am
VSG on 12/18/13

LOL!!!  Relax.  I am going through the same thing.  My surgery is scheduled for December 18th.  I have found that I drink a lot of water along with my shakes and broth and I am feeling pretty full.  We just have to stay focused and look at the big picture or smaller picture :).  We can do this!!!

Mrs_Desire _
on 12/5/13 4:29 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Can you chew some gum during pre-op? 

Now after surgery, gum is out the question. (Obstruction risk and additional build up of air in tummy) I mean you can take a chance but why do that? 

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

pharmagirl_45
on 12/5/13 4:37 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I don't feel your pain yet, but I will starting January 1st!  That's when I have to start my liquid diet.  I already told my coworkers that I will be cranky and to stay away from me! lol

I just afraid of the terrible headaches I will probably get.  I always get headaches when I'm really hungry. I will suck it up.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

waiting2bme
on 12/5/13 4:50 am

Mine starts jan 1 also

wantagab
on 12/5/13 10:23 am

I start my pre-op on January 2nd and I am a Human Resource Manager, so part of my job is firing people. I better not be very cranky because if anyone ****** me off, I will not be forgiving if I am hungry!!!

Cheryl

luvbskts
on 12/5/13 4:50 am

I hear ya babycakes.  I'm on day 4 too.  I even thought brussels sprouts sounded good today.  I don't like brussel sprouts :) 

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/5/13 7:17 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I would think you would be allowed to have some tuna. I choose white meat albacore tuna and slightly moisten it. Great source of protein, practically no carbs. Cottage cheese is a good one and so is greek yogurt. There is even a yogurt available where I live called CarbMaster or something like that that is 4g carb and 15g protein. All should be compliant with the shrinking of the liver pre-op

Somewhat unrelated but hopefully you can learn from my mistake: I had a serious coffee habit before my surgery. I would give some consideration to cutting down on caffeine prior to your surgery because you do not want those caffeine withdrawal headaches on top of everything else. Tylenol will be allowed but it didn't even touch those headaches. At.All. Three days worth of OMG my head feels like it's going to explode. 

hollirrose
on 12/5/13 10:21 am, edited 12/5/13 10:21 am
VSG on 04/21/12
The pre op liquid diet is probally the hardest part of this entire thing. It is tough! You can do this. It will get easier. After you will have a tiny tummy but the "want" will still be there. It is easier though. Congrats on your upcoming surgery! A year from now...you will look at this and laugh!
pumkinpie1963
on 12/5/13 8:35 pm

I am on day 2 f my preop diet.  My surgery is on the 12th.  I had to laugh this morning cause I normally rarely dream.  But last night I dreamed I went to a friend house who made homemade vegetable soup and I ate 3 bowls and I kept apologizing for eating all the soup but I was so hungry.  LOL.  I woke up this morning and briefly thought, "did I eat?" This pre-op is hard but we can do it!  Hang in there, try now to focus on the days ahead but getting through today.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views