Observations at nine months out.

Rms928
on 12/14/13 2:32 am
VSG on 03/20/13

I'll just start by saying these observations pertain to my experience with VSG and the results I've had.  Your results may vary and for those veterans out there, may have.  First, this is still the best thing I ever did for myself.  I've lost almost 140 lbs and am close to my first goal of sub 200 lbs. this has come with a lot of effort and hard work for me.  If anyone says to you "surgery is the easy way to weight loss" they are naive and mistaken.  All of the things we were told about weight loss before the surgery hold true.  You have to change everything about your life that made you fat. The food you eat and the amount activity you do are as important to success as the surgery. The surgery enables you to give your new way of life a fighting chance.

OK, for the observations.  At nine months all everyone told me, the doctor and vets here on OH are true.  My weight loss is slowing a bit.  It's still there but not at the rate it was. I've increased my exercise to help compensate.  I've also started changing my exercise routine. Some of my old habits are trying to creep in as well.  It's a struggle at times to resist picking a some of all the wonderful treats during this holiday time. It's also difficult  to not over indulge in my love for a good scotch or bourbon.  I fight the battles everyday to stay on plan to eat right and exercise. 

When I started this journey I wanted to be normal. I wanted to wear normal clothes and sit on normal chairs in restaurants and airplanes. I wanted people to look at me and see a normal, if not older man. The biggest lesson I've learned from this experience so far is normal for me now is not only all of those things I've wished for but a new way of approaching every thought or feeling I had about nutrition and exercise.  

My normal s not what I expected. I thought normal was being able to eat that big piece of cake, those 4 slices of pizza and that six pack of beer. No, my normal is not any of those but that's ok. I'll take the results.  My normal is eating good, nutritious, low carb foods and exercising vigorously at least an hour a day at least five days a week. 

Normal is also screwing up every now and then and I do. I travel a lot and my job has me at plenty of ****tail parties and dinners.  My new normal is making sure I make the right choices at those events and getting to the gym at whatever hotel I'm at the next morning. If I don't, my new normal is making sure I get back to the plan as soon as possible.

My normal is realizing I am not the skinny guy who can do or eat anything he wants but I am the skinny guy and I like it!

I'm looking forward to the next three months and to hopefully reaching my final goal of 180 lbs. at one year.  I'll report on my progress then and try to include before and after pictures then. Good luck to all of you who've chosen this path. I now know if we stay on plan, we all will have success. 

M1-10 M2-31.4 M3-11 M4-16.8 M5-15 M6-10 M7-14 M8-9

linzeelee
on 12/14/13 4:04 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Thanks for your honesty and for sharing your insights. You are doing great! Looking forward to seeing your goal post and pics.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Spencerella
on 12/14/13 4:06 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I really enjoyed your post. Your truth is also mine :). Great insights and I know you will be at goal very soon. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/13 6:12 am

Excellent post.  Thank you for sharing.  My normal is about the same as yours. 

DeeNY52
on 12/14/13 6:36 am

Thanks for the perspective.  My VSG was 2.5 weeks ago and I'm losing very slowly, and I'm trying to keep my mind on long term goals, not the 1 month weigh-in.  You've done great!  Congratulations on the weight loss and the positive and practical attitude!

marymo362
on 12/14/13 9:58 am
RNY on 03/18/14

thank you for your honesty--for someone looking at having the gastric sleeve surgery this is really important!

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

frisco
on 12/14/13 12:49 pm

You might not be a normie normal...... but you sound like a normal VSGer......

Now tighten it up and get that goal !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/13 3:09 pm

Your normal sounds pretty normal to me - at least it's what my normal looks like!

Hey, I wish I was the pizza and beer and chocolate cake normal guy, too, but it just ain't so!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views