No food ever sounds good. Does it get better?

petunia1122
on 12/18/13 8:27 am - AR

I had my surgery on Nov.13th. I struggle with getting enough protein in but I manage most days. My main problem is nothing sounds good to me. EVER. As a matter of fact I almost gag whenever I think about food. Is this normal? Will it get better as I heal? I mean I don't want to just eat a bazillion things, but I would like to go to the grocery store and not want to gag at the smells, sights, etc.

Thanks!

Cindy

hope123
on 12/18/13 10:07 am - MO

I feel the same way, and I'm 8 weeks post-op.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get better.  Sadly, I really regret having this surgery.

Tata64
on 12/18/13 12:22 pm

I'm 6 weeks post-op and at time I feel like that, but there is no turning back you must go forward and beat those negative thoughts. I understand you totally. It has helped me to pray find something positive to do or even a good book. I hope gets better for you... Keep me inform on how you feel... I heard it gets better....

hope123
on 12/18/13 12:39 pm - MO

I'm worried though that things will never get better, because 8 weeks is a really long time not to be able to eat.  I haven't heard of ANYONE else on here taking this long to recover and eat again.

claimmaster
on 12/18/13 6:07 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I have been following this board for almost a year now, and believe me that there are LOADS of people who've been in your situation.  Most lament the fact that it doesn't last.  Enjoy the freedom from food cravings while it lasts because it won't always be that way.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

petunia1122
on 12/18/13 8:53 pm - AR

Thanks! That's what I figured a little since people can gain the weight back.

hope123
on 12/19/13 1:49 am - MO

I just wish I could eat SOMETHING though.  Thanks for your input.  :-)

bulldog76ss
on 12/18/13 10:17 pm - OH

I am currently 8 weeks post-op.  I am just now finding out what I can tolerate and what I can't.  Up until now nothing and I mean nothing sounded good and most made me sick just to think about it.  I have come to the realization that some of the the things that I liked in the past will no longer be on the menu.  Up until recently sometimes I would even gag on water.

I ate 8 almonds yesterday for the first time and to my surprise nothing happened, no gagging, not sickness, no nothing, for me this was a milestone.  I am also tolerating protein shakes.  I am currently 128# down from my highest.  Although its tuff and at times those bad thoughts creep in about if its worth it or not, looking at the big picture, I can move better, fit better and sleep better.  Hang in there you and I are going to accomplish this!

hope123
on 12/19/13 1:48 am - MO

Thank you, I pray you're right, because I'm terrified right now.  Thanks again!

Shagdoll
on 12/19/13 1:46 am

Ooooooo, believe me your food cravings will return.  Like claimaster said, enjoy it now while it lasts.  Do your best to get your protein in though regardless of food not sounding or tasting good.  It seems to be common with us not being hungry for a while after surgery.   I only lost that craving for a few weeks, I wi**** lasted me longer!

It will get better. 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views