Post-surgery differences

DeeNY52
on 12/22/13 11:57 pm

Does anyone know why some sleeve patients are on clear liquids for 2 weeks and others just 1 week?  Why some sleeve patients are still eating purees at 4 weeks when my doc says soft meal includes meat and refried beans at 3 weeks?  I know every patient is different but are there no standards for post-surgery eating and introducing new foods?

Shagdoll
on 12/23/13 12:13 am

I think it just really depends on the surgeon and the program.  I saw my surgeon like twice after surgery & then never saw him again.  I had kaiser and they had a 12 week program where I was required to lose 10% of my body weight before surgery.  I only lost about 7% but the surgeon was fine with it.  Since I lost 18 pounds pre-op, I just had to do clear liquids for the 1 day before.  I think those 2 week of clear liquids are for those patients who didn't lose anything before surgery so it's a last attempt to get some weight off.  They say it shrinks the liver too which helps with surgery. 

My surgeon told me I could try cottage cheese & eggs at 5 days post-op but even with those instructions I was extremely careful.  I think I barely ate a minced up teaspoon of both that early out but I was still nervous to eat knowing my sleeve was new.  So I guess it just depends.  Just stay plugged in with your doctor about any concerns you have.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

mickeymantle
on 12/23/13 12:26 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there are no standards , my surgeon sends you home on full liquids from the hospital, and all food (starting with softer stuff) after the 2 week check up

I never had any problems

other surgeons believe you sleeve needs more time to heal before eating more solid foods

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

iDeserveThis
on 12/23/13 12:29 am
VSG on 11/12/13

I am not really answering your question, I am adding to it.  I keep wondering the same  PLUS  why is everyone's experience so different.  Foamies, Feeling Nauseous, Dumping... I had none of these so far (not complaining)  and  no problem eating food, once I was allowed to, never feel anything "stuck" (again, not complaining)... the hunger issue, I hear people saying years out they don't feel hunger, I have from day 14ish... my stomach growls that I am hungry... I eat my 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food and I am completely full and satisfied until my next meal/snack 3-4 hours later     but    how come our experiences can be so different???              Last weeks daily calculated average for me:  75g protein, 25g carbs, 5g fiber, 13g fat

Height: 4' 11" --- HW: 216 -- PreOp: 216 -- SW: (on 11-12-13) 211 -- Goal: 118-128

Tracy D.
on 12/23/13 4:50 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I think there's a lot of reasons for the variations in what people experience.   Anatomy for one; that, plus the shape of the sleeve that your surgeon made, will definitely impact how you feel post-op and once you start eating.  People also have different stomach emptying times, different levels of hormones and experience a wide difference in how much acid their tummy produces.  Again, all of these variables will impact your experience.  That's just some of the biological factors.  If you take into account people's psychological differences in how they experience and tolerate pain, their personal anxiety level and factor in their actual compliance with their surgeon's plan...well, you can see it's just the tip of the iceberg in why outcomes are so different.

I never felt nauseous either and only got the foamies and threw up once (ate too fast too soon out).  Never had "dumping", I can eat all the sugar I want, unfortunately.  As for hunger, I definitely feel it but many times it's actually excess acid production (if I take a Tums and it goes away then I know it's acid). 

You're doing great!  Stay on track and thank your lucky stars that you are one of the blessed ones having a great experience :-)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

themexcellentone
on 12/23/13 2:01 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with
Every doctor has a different plan for aftercare--there is no standard way it goes down. I know I was on full liquids for 3 weeks post-op, then soft food for 3 weeks, and then I was cleared to eat all foods.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

happyteacher
on 12/23/13 4:56 am

You are correct- it is not standardized.  There are things that tend to be common to many programs, but it certainly is not written in stone.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views