Happy birthday to me...

Tracy D.
on 12/23/13 5:36 am, edited 12/23/13 5:53 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

This isn't a shameless plug to get a multitude of birthday wishes (seriously!).   I have been battling the sugar-demon here the last couple weeks.  Weekends are clean as a whistle and then I get sucked in by the siren song of cookies, candy, kolaches, sweet breads, oh my!  I should be posting my 7-month surgiversary update tomorrow and shouting from the rooftops that I hit goal.  But I won't be...because of all the messing around I've done the last two weeks with sugar. 

But the good news it that TODAY I celebrate being at the lowest weight that I've been since my mid-20's, maybe even my early 20's.  With a great resting heart rate, perfect B/P, and normal blood sugars - no diabetes medication needed!  My joints are pain-free and I have more energy than I did 10 years ago. 

The other celebration?  My oldest daughter was born this day too and we are all celebrating the fact that her 4-week old baby (my first grandchild) is still alive after a very touch-and-go emergency surgery just a week ago. In fact, the pediatric surgeon said that if they hadn't brought her in that day that she wouldn't have made it.  Today she is eating and pooping like a normal, healthy baby and should get to go home in a week or so   Big thanks to the crack team of surgeons and medical professionals at Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego!

To top it all off, I was DREADING work today at my new job because they make a big deal about birthdays and bring "treats".  I literally got on my knees today and asked the universe to help me stick to my strategy for handling this.  I was going to take a piece of whatever-it-was on a napkin to my desk and then I was going to walk it to the back bathroom and flu**** down the toilet (because sugar isn't safe from me, even in the garbage can - sad but true).  Well, guess what??  My new boss totally spaced my birthday!!!!  Now I could have chosen to get all bent out of shape about this and have hurt feelings - but I am too damn ecstatic that the universe answered my prayers and completely shielded me from this particular temptation.  

So, even though I wanted to hit goal by my birthday, I'm grateful for the fantastic progress I've made.  And I understand that the REAL goal is to learn how to live successfully with my VSG for the rest of my life, regardless of some arbitrary date on the calendar. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

childof60s
on 12/23/13 5:47 am
VSG on 12/17/13

What a wonderful story!  Happy birthday and congrats on all your successes!

Co60s

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

TexasTerritory
on 12/23/13 5:52 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Sounds like you have lots to celebrate~~and you plan to do it without sugar~~awesome

grayC
on 12/23/13 6:09 am
VSG on 05/01/13

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Shagdoll
on 12/23/13 6:22 am

Happy Birthday Tracy!!!!!! 

And to your daughter, wow that is awesome you both share the same special day!!!  And best of luck to her little bundle of joy.  I'm a sucker for babies!!!

When did I read this ....  "Today she is eating and pooping like a normal, healthy baby and should get to go home in a week or so ..."

& I thought it said ... "Today she is eating popcorn like a normal, healthy baby..."  I was like whaaaaat!?!?!?!  goes to show you I had food on the brain, LOL!!!!!

And I got a chuckle on the comment about sugar not even been safe for you even if it's in the garbage can ... me & another VSGer were talkin' about the same darn thing the other day, how freakin' crazy we are!!! 

Yeah, I was able to throw away a big piece of cake in the trash and we were like, "Uh, better smash that between the plates first".   hahaha!!!!  CRAZY I SAY!!!

And yes!  You have made fantastic progress and the real goal is how to make the best of our new life & not be hung up on a certain date.

Cheers Tracy, we can do this!!!  Happy Holidays!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

cappy11448
on 12/23/13 8:15 am

Wonderful post.  Thank God for your grandchild's recovery, and your answered prayers on your birthday.  I think we'd all be happier if we realized that the real goal is to learn to live successfully with our sleeves, as you said.

Happy birthday, and congratulations on your successful weight loss.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

linzeelee
on 12/23/13 9:16 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
Happy birthday, Tracy! What a year you have had. You've learned a lot, lost a lot of weight and you're looking fabulous. You will be at goal very soon. I'm sending good thoughts your grand daughter's way.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

rengirl1978
on 12/23/13 9:24 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Well, of course I am going to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And what wonderful news about your granddaughter! I am sorry you had to go thru that scare. Good thing that you were going to flush that cake, I would have to as well. I LOVE CAKE. Keep up the great work!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 107 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 384 views