Doctor Shopping?

Melanie W.
on 12/26/13 5:59 am - WA

I tried unsuccessfully to have the sleeve done in September 2012. I woke up from surgery and the doc informed me that my liver was still too large and they couldn't do the surgery. I had a few bad experiences like getting into a car wreck in the parking lot that kind of gave me the heeby jeebies about going back there. I was also concerned that the doctor barely recognized me when I got into the car wreck...as a patient he should make an effort to know and recognize his patients.

I have gone to another surgeon who wants me to have bypass, but I am not comfortable with that at all. I was against weight loss surgery for so long until I heard about the gastric sleeve. It was like a lightbulb went off and I knew it's what I wanted. When I told this other surgeon I was uncomfortable with bypass because I didn't want a new stoma created and not be able to take nsaids and potentially be even more anemic he told me "maybe you shouldn't have the surgery at all." Needless to say I was put off by the entire conversation. I was also told I should only be eating 2-3 protein shakes a day and a lean cuisine for dinner. I tried talking to him about that because i only like 2 or 3 of those frozen meals and would be eating the same thing on end for months!!! It was like setting me up for failure and I told him it was impossible and asked if there were other options and he said NO.

I have an appointment on January 2, 2014 to see Dr. Landerholm at Puget Sound Bariatrics and am hopefully going to click with him. The lady I talked to the other day sounded nice and had had her band to sleeve revision done there. She also said they do a very low carb diet and don't put you on a shake diet. I want the surgeon to listen to me and help me, not just tell me canned answers. I also want them to recognize me and know who i am without having to pour over a chart. i know surgeons see many patients, but I did my medical assisting externship at virginia mason in seattle and knew patients by their names, it shouldn't be hard for doctors to know either.

I've been scared to get back on the wls bandwagon because of the surgery that wasn't completed. When I was talking to the gal at Puget Sound Bariatrics she was surprised that they did my "failed surgery" at their clinic and not in a hospital because of my BMI. Even my mom was surprised because she always has her surgeries in the hospital and she is 100 lbs less than I am. She said any BMI over 49 and it's done in a hospital not an ambulatory clinic setting. When I woke up from the failed surgery I no sooner had my eyes open and they had my IV out and had me out the door. I still had surgery even if it wasn't completed. I was in so much pain and wasn't even written a prescription for pain pills since i wasn't going to drink the god awful liquid stuff. I had to go to my primary care doc the next day and ask for some.

Please let me know what you guys think. I really want to finish this journey and have babies.

LosingSarah
on 12/26/13 6:20 am, edited 12/26/13 6:21 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Wow!  I think you are making a smart decision to be seeing another surgeon. Really! 

The first experience sounds super crazy, and I think it's a really good thing it didn't happen then. I also think it is ridiculous that your new doctor is not listening to what YOU want vs what he wants you to do. He clearly is either not very experienced with sleeve surgery and/or is not well educated about the sleeve if he cannot see it any other way.  Ultimately the decision is up to you. You've clearly researched your options, and know what is best for you. 

I hope your upcoming appointment goes well and you find the right doctor.  If you don't click keep looking!  Good luck and keep us updated!

crazydaisylou
on 12/26/13 6:23 am - Boyertown, PA
VSG on 09/03/13

I have no advice, but good luck!

height 5'3"  HW-282   consult-234   SW-203   CW-142

my goal- 140   surgeon's goal-120-130

highest weight- 282

5/29/2013 -initial consultation- 234 (dr n)

9/3/2013  -day of surgery- 203 (hosp)

9/19/2013-two weeks post-op- 195 (dr n)

10/3/2013- four weeks post-op- 191 (dr n)

10/22/2013- seven weeks post-op- 185 (work)

10/31/2012- eight weeks post-op- 180 (work)

11/12/2013- ten weeks post-op- 175 (work)

11/22/2013- twelve weeks post-op- 171 (dr n)

RN said my weight loss is 5-10% higher than the average person with my height and initial starting weight range.

12/10/2013- 14 weeks post-op- 164 (work)

12/18/2013- 15 weeks post-op- 164 (work)

1/06/2014- 160 (work)

1/21/2014- 155 (work)

2/12/2014- 151 (dr n)

4/1/2014- 145 (work)

TexasTerritory
on 12/26/13 6:42 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Good luck with your new doctor!

pineview01
on 12/26/13 8:43 am - Davison, MI

Taking the IV out and sending you home right away isn't a surprise!  When my band was removed, this was as intense as getting the band, they called the surgery at 9:15 and I was home at 1:30 including a 25 minute ride home.  No pain meds either, just told to take Tylenol.  That was in a hospital.

I would defiantly not use a surgeon trying to talk you into a RNY when you gave him medically sound reasons for wanting a VSG.  I have found that if they have a set diet they won't bend on what they require.  I also only saw they surgeon once pre-surgery with all the surgeries.  They do not get to know patients and would not know us without a file.

Hopefully this surgeon works out.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

frisco
on 12/26/13 9:40 am

Looks like your west coast...... you may want to shop in San Francisco......

My surgeon routinely gets great results with high BMI patients.....

I went from 338------->148lbs. in 13 months.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mickeymantle
on 12/26/13 2:30 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I love my surgeon he spends the time to explain everything and answers all questions in a way I can understand , he is a band patient so understands, the problems of obese people 

he explained the difference of the different surgeries and and said he recommended the sleeve for most heavy weights because it is a safer surgery with about the same results , he also said that the band was not for me but he would do the rny if I insisted , he does all 3 surgeries

he uses a  34f and I have had no complications

I had little pain after the first few minutes and no eating problem , little hunger at meal time and have no problems staying on plan 98% of the time

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Melanie W.
on 12/27/13 1:24 am - WA

Good to hear Mickey! I'm excited to try this again and have it work. I have tries the past year to do it on my own and it's hard. I want to have a "tool" to help me. I know it's not a fix all for everything, but it will be a tiny boost to help me. My family on both sides are obese, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc...my genes are against me : (

TruemansMom
on 12/27/13 1:32 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I think you will like Dr. L. and the folks at PSB.  I saw him for my first appointment last Spring. Changed at the last minute because I did not want to wait any longer then need be. Good luck in the new year, and just think how different things will be one year from now!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Melanie W.
on 12/30/13 12:48 am - WA

What do you mean you didn't want to wait any longer? lol

does he have a huge long waiting list? I go on in January 2nd....Best way to start the new year!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views