Question

metk79
on 12/27/13 1:16 pm

I'm six weeks out from surgery and last Thursday my doctor said I could start eating the following: 

-Low fat or fat free cottage cheese

-Low fat or fat free cheese

-Eggs

-Smooth, reduced fat peanut butter

Potato-not fried or skins

-Fish/Seafood

-Chicken or turkey small pieces chewed really well

-Fat free crackers

-Pasta

-Fruits and veggies (there was a long list including salad)

-Fat free dressings

-Breads (toasted or untoasted...best to avoid if possible)

I'm not sure how many calories/carbs/protein I should be striving for? My doctor never said what this should be, he just said that I need to increase my workouts from walking/light weights to more moderate weights and to use them on my arms, legs, back, and hips.  

I was kind of floored when I saw that my list contained crackers, pasta, and bread. I did eat some tuna and five mini crackers but the pasta and bread I'm not touching.  

Any advice?

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

mickeymantle
on 12/27/13 2:20 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I try not to eat bread pasta , and I try to get all my carbs from fruits and veggies ,

my doctor will not give me a calorie amount , but I keep it between 500 -800 , mostly around 700 , I try for 80 gm protein and try to stay under 30 gm carbs

my nut says this is a good amount for me

bread pasta and crackers are wasted cal, by the time you get your protein in there is not much room for much also and you should try for 8 gm of fiber or you will get constipated 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/27/13 10:54 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

This is just me, but no bread, pasta, crackers etc.  I try and keep my carbs around 20-30g a day and those foods are a deal breaker.  I picked up some PB 2 if I feel the urge to have a small bite of peanut butter. It has 85% less fat and calories than regular peanut butter. I buy nonfat greek yogurt because it has twice the protein of regular yogurt. I add berries to it or Torani SF no calorie flavor syrup. 

happyteacher
on 12/28/13 12:40 am

You should ask for a protein target, given that it is based on size.  I am 6'2'' (female) and was given a target of 80 grams per day, although I routinely did 110 per day.  Processed white carbs are terrible for you, and I would highly recommend you avoid them.  Crackers- Fibergourmet makes some that are very high in fiber, and much lower in calorie (70 cals, 4 protein, 22 carbs, 12 g fiber) and come in different flavors- those work really well and may be found on netrition.com.  I once in a while do a whole grain pasta or the Fibergouirment pasta (again, high fiber and easier on the glycemic index).  

Stick to protein first and then high quality carbs like green leafy veggies.  The processed stuff will cause cravings due to spiking the insulin levels.  Read up on the glycemic index and select foods low on the index.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

metk79
on 12/28/13 12:56 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! 

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views