Rash- anyone else experience? Incision pain???

staceyp1105
on 12/28/13 10:45 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I'm 10 days post op.   Eating, protein ad fluids have been going very well    

About three days ago started having a rash on my back that spread to many other areas, mostly arms and legs.   Itchy.   

it may just be the craziness my body is under and that's its reaction.  Anybody else possibly experience a rash?

Met with a doc and 1st step is Benadryl.  It's been 2 Days and no change so next step is trying an antibiotic .   With limited foods right now an allergy is hard to assess although it could be the whey protein in such large amounts.  

And unrelated.   Incision pain.  Of course it's the one that my pant**** but I have only worn loose fitting ones.    It hurts even when nothing is on it.   Hoping it's just healing but my other incisions don't hurt at all.

VSG on 06/12/13
There is actually a fair amount of stuff on post op rashes.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=Post+op+rash&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

I had both a rash and incision pain. Both are normal. It is good you are in touch with your doc.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

staceyp1105
on 12/28/13 1:05 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Thanks for the link.  Sounds like most had rash around incision sites or near where tape would been.  Oddly, mine is not near there at all but it sounds like it's not uncommon.  Just wish there was a better way t treat it.   Benadryl isn't really working for me.

Annievvho
on 12/28/13 11:17 am, edited 12/28/13 11:18 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I didn't have a rash, so I can't really help you there, but I did have some late in the game incision pain. I had very little in the beginning, so I didn't experience it from the beginning, but after I started going more places and didn't feel comfortable wearing my now way too big sweatpants, I started to feel some pain in my lower right incision (mine form a pentagon with the lowest 2 right above my waist, two just below my ribs, and one right where my belly meets my chest in the middle). The painful incision was also the largest and the one my stomach was removed through. It had the most bruising of the incisions, so even though I was wearing less forgiving pants, I really think it was more from the bruise healing. I have learned many tricks from years of outgrowing my pants, and I used one - the old unbutton and fold down inside the waistband trick to avoid irritating my incisions. The fun part was, I was wearing 2 sizes smaller by the time I put jeans on than before my pre-op diet.

Babyshoes79
on 12/28/13 12:00 pm
VSG on 11/19/13

I experienced a rash as well.  I'm 5 1/2 weeks post op mine began at approx 2 weeks post op.  Rash all over including incisions .  Doc put me on atarax as the Benadryl was not working,  I was also given lidex cream.   I saw much improvement but tend to have days when the rash comes back.   But for the most part  it's gone.  Per my MD this is very common post op. 

mickeymantle
on 12/28/13 2:12 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

many people get a rash from the anesthesia, and iching is very common , antihistamines usually help  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

rengirl1978
on 12/28/13 2:17 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hey Stacey! As you know, we had surgery the same day! I do not have any rash, but that big incision above my belly button still hurts too. Good luck with the rash!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Susan_04
on 12/28/13 4:25 pm - WI

I was sleeved on 12/2. About 5 days post op I broke out in a rash/hives all over my stomach, in my armpits, on the tops of my thighs. My two bigger incisions were puffy and red. Im not sure if it was from all the adhesive from the tape/ekg patches or a reaction to anesthesia or both, i'd never had a reaction like that before. I tried Benadryl, which helped a little, but when I called the surgeons nurse she called in a steriod cream (clobetasol propionate) for me and that worked really well! Hope you get comfortable soon!! It's not fun being itchy and sore! 

Tracy D.
on 12/28/13 10:00 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I got exactly the same thing - found out I was allergic to my PPI (Prilosec).  Once we got that cleared up then I developed a ketosis rash (Google it).  

As for incision pain, my abdomen was extremely sensitive to anything touching it for a long time, even loose pants or sweats.  The area/incision that was the most tender was where they inserted the retractor to pull back the liver - it will hurt for longer. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views