grocery list post-op

goleftoklahoma
on 12/30/13 4:45 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Currently Pre-op until 1-24-14.  I am doing mostly liquid protein diet and a solid meal or two.  I am planning on going straight liquid 15 days out per the NUT.  However I want to get a feel for things to eat that are easy to prepare and will keep me about the 800 calorie range when I am back to a regular (solids) diet.  I know that I need high protein foods but what does one reccommend for easy, cheap and conveinent?  Will I be hungry if I continue to do protein shake for lunch and breakfast and then say a healthychoice microwavable meal for dinner?  IDK how to do this easily.  Thoughts?

justpete
on 12/30/13 5:24 am
VSG on 04/02/13

might be more than 2 weeks before you want to tackle that frozen dinner (if ever! easier to jsut cook a big meal and portion it out for 2 weeks of food).  mostly greek yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, cheese, chili, and flakey fish (tuna, cod,haddock, etc).  some soups for variety but they wont stick around for long.  If you are really adventurous, your NUT might allow some 2x beef stew.  The Ricotta bake is a very nice thing also, both for hte pureed phase and later (you can add meat and veggies to it later on).

2 shakes a day is a good plan.  you wont be hungry, if you are ... water.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Sandy M.
on 12/30/13 5:37 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Once you get to the solid foods diet after surgery, most NUTs will tell you to limit the protein shakes unless you're not getting enough protein from the food.  The liquid in the shakes will probably not satisfy you like good solid protein will.

Easy, cheap, convenient?  Some of my favorites:

Campbell's Slow Cooker Style soups, specifically the Braised Beef Stew and the Tuscan Chicken with White Beans.

Dannon Fit & Light Greek yogurt, any flavor

Elina's Green Chicken Soup (Google it or search for it on OH) - this isn't so convenient, but very good, and good for you!

Crack Slaw (again, Google it; there are lots of variations).  I like to put a poached or fried egg on top of it for breakfast the next day.

Frigo Cheesehead Light String Cheese

Old Wisconsin Turkey Sausage Snack Bites

Roasted Chicken Breasts (I use the Barefoot Contessa method; buy the bone-in, skin-on breasts, rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Let it rest until you can handle.  Afterwards, take the skin off and remove the bones.  Trust me, this is the only way I cook my chicken; it makes the meat very moist, which you'll appreciate with the sleeve!

Pork loin in the crockpot - with a paring knife, make several slits in the meat and insert slices of fresh garlic.  In the bottom of the crockpot, put 2 bay leaves, the pork, and some fresh thyme.  Add 1/2 c. Apple Cider Vinegar and cook on low 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours.  

Leftover Frittata - 6 - 8 eggs, beaten, 1/2 package of low fat cream cheese or Fontina, or Marscarpone, leftover meat of your choice (bacon/ham/pancetta/chicken), and grated cheese if desired.  Throw in some fresh spinach or, my favorite, fresh arugula along with any other veggies you've got.  If you like it spicy, add some Sriracha or red pepper flakes.  Spray a pie pan with Pam, add the egg mix and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

A poached egg with smoked grated cheese and chives.

If you do need protein drinks, my favorite is Premier Protein ready to drink.

The World According to Eggface has great WLS recipes:  http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Also check out Pinterest.com - you can search for high protein, low carb and find lots of options.  

Finally, our very own Frisco is a talented chef and writes about it here:  http://lapsf.com/cafe-frisco/

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

goleftoklahoma
on 12/30/13 5:46 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Thank you both!  I know how busy everyone is and to take this time to share with me is very generous of you.  I printed these replies to I can reference more easily when I get confused.  Thanks!

happyteacher
on 12/30/13 6:03 am

My pre op diet was a 4 + 1 approach.  4 shakes with 1 meal.  If the meal was at dinner I was starving, but if I ate the meal at the lunch it was very manageable.  Quick and easy meals: greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, deli slices, meatballs, Trader Joe items like fish, chicken hot dogs, slow cooker meats reheat great, protein bars, shakes, eggs in all various forms, fish, shrimp (ready in less than 5!), turkey burgers, grilled anything proten based...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views