Newbie Here -- Revised LB to VSG on 1/2/2014

SpideyMom
on 1/6/14 12:34 pm

Happy new year to me! I had my horrible lapband removed and had a VSG on Jan. 2. I am in the hardest part of it all, I believe -- the liquid only phase. I've had a lot of incisional pain, but no internal pain, thankfully! A good friend of mine told me my pain would be less if I kept hydrated, and by that she said (from experience) 1 sip every 30 seconds. Well, I can tell you, it's true. I have much less pain now that I'm rehydrated. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

A little about me, I was banded in 2009, lost 113 pounds, and life was great....until it wasn't. Started having terrible band problems, couldn't keep food down, all restriction was taken out, and I regained 75 pounds over a year and a half. Now I start the climb back down. Was really scared to do the VSG revision, but decided it was best for my health. Would love to find people here to connect with!

Ann

LapBand surgery May 2009; revision to VSG Jan. 2, 2014

Ihearttennis
on 1/6/14 12:45 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Welcome! Glad you're here  and good luck.  I do believe you are in the hardest stage right now. A few months from now you will be reaping the rewards and  won't even remember it, kinda like childbirth.  

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

DesertRose
on 1/6/14 12:47 pm
VSG on 01/08/14

Welcome aboard!

I'm having my surgery on Wednesday, 8 January.  Mine is just a straight sleeve, not a revision; I didn't like the idea of having medical equipment put in my body, so I never seriously looked at a band.  (It'd be different, I guess, if I needed a knee or hip replacement or a pacemaker or something like that, but the band just squicked me I guess.)

Thanks for the tip about sipping every 30 seconds.  I think I'll try that when I can have liquids after my surgery.

I hope you enjoy the boards here.  I've been a member since about August 2013 and everybody is really nice.

Take care of you!

Nora

stoutts
on 1/6/14 12:50 pm

Similar here Ann. Lap in 2010 lots of problems, sleeved Dec 2013. FYI, my surgeon had a terrible time with the connective tissue around the band-took an extra 45 minutes in surgery-that could be part of the prob with pain. Where the band was caused me a good bit of discomfort. Sorry, no suggestions on my end. Liquid only sucked and now I'm on softs.

Fingers crossed for you!

Mrs_Desire _
on 1/6/14 10:35 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Welcome to the SLEEVE side Ann.

I am a revision sleever from the CRAPBAND also. As far as pain goes, I say just take it easy and take your pain medication when things get unbearable. Stay hydrated and walk. My incision pain last about a week and then I was good to go. I can actually sleep on my STOMACH now. It was MONTHS AND MONTHS before I could sleep on my side or stomach when I had the band. Life is good. Now if I can get out my stall... I will be ecstatic.

Welcome Welcome!!!!

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

danixbanani
on 1/6/14 10:46 pm - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I'm a band to sleever as well.  Banded in 2008, lost only 50lbs before having problems and gained everything back.  Revised to sleeve in Oct 2012.  Life is so much better on the sleeve side!!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

SpideyMom
on 1/7/14 1:37 am

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I am so glad to hear that things are better with the sleeve. That's what I am hoping for! Though I said I wasn't going to look for a full week, I got on the scale and I am down 6 pounds since surgery. It feels good to know it's working already. I will be so glad to be able to eat some real food, though! Question: Why isn't applesauce on the liquid diet if pudding and yogurt is? I'm looking for variety! :)

Mrs_Desire _
on 1/7/14 4:29 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Applesauce is too hard on the tummy to digest in the first few days to weeks. I was given clearance to have applesauce at the puree stage which was about a week after liquids.

Hang in there.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

SpideyMom
on 1/7/14 5:59 am

Thanks. Hard to believe that applesauce is hard to digest, huh? lol Oh, well. I can wait! It was more of a curiosity than a real craving.

Ann

Gwen M.
on 1/7/14 7:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hey!  You and I have the same surgeon!!  I'm hoping for VSG in March.  How did you like him?  I've been really pleased with all of his staff so far. :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views