2 months out with a newb question about protein

ITwon
on 1/6/14 1:08 pm - Woonsocket, RI

Ok. My "So-Far", for reference: I'm 2 months post-op. I lost 52lbs the 6 months pre-op, and I lost 44lbs these last two months. I'm 370 currently. 6'2", large frame, 34yr old male. I work out 4-5 times a week.

Ok, the question: 3oz of meat seems to be the "holy grail" of vsg eating, but I don't understand why? My NUT, along with everyone, has me aiming for 3oz of meat, and 4oz of a side. But if getting protein in is so important, and I can eat more than 3oz of meat, why isn't that preferable? Still staying under 8oz total, of course.

I won't presume to complain about my weight loss stalling these last couple weeks, having lost almost 50lbs in 2 months. But I definitely get hungry. My life is the rotation of eating and drinking, and when I'm drinking IM HUNGRY!!! Some people never get hungry and I'm very jealous of them lol (I do wait the hour before drinking, before you ask)

I do feel like I'm eating too much sometimes. And my NUT says aim for 1200 calories for my size. But I worry that's too much. But I do feel hungry pretty regularly too. It's tough. I mean, I know I'm being silly. I eat so very little than I used to. I know weight loss will pick up again. But after such fast loss I'm not ready for it to stop lol thanks for reading!

Deckeriv
on 1/6/14 8:52 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

If you want to eat more protein and less "sides", I don't see a problem with that. Take your vitamins and you shouldn't be missing anything important. Sounds like your NUT is like most and recommend eating too much but that's normal for their trade. For some reason they can't wrap their head around 800 calories. They want you to lose slowly, which is a joke. Don't waste your honeymoon period. My opinion and not always shared by all.

As for hunger, think liquids and take your acid reducer and that should lessen. Hunger at your stage is usually one of three things; need hydration, acid, or head hunger. Don't think it's more food needed and you can control it.

Sounds like you are doing great. Don't fret the stalls, they happen and it's normal. Good luck.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/14 11:07 pm - Canada

I'm new to this so could be totally off but 8oz, 2 months out???  That seems like a lot of food to cram into a new pouch. More protein less carb will definitely keep you fuller longer and help avoid cravings. Everyone is different in their exact needs.  You could try a little more protein and dropping the amount of the side.  And what is your side?  If it's more then veggies I am thinking this will keep your hunger pangs growing.  

Do you log your food to see how much protein and carbs you are getting?  You might try that for a few weeks.  If you have a smart phone I recommend the "Lose It!" app.  Its super easy to use and let's you scan any food with a barcode.  

happyteacher
on 1/6/14 11:51 pm

If you are hungry, then i would suggest more dense protein.  The advantage to eating say a salad is that the green leafy veggies are very low calories, offer a lot of nutritional benefit, and help to fill volume.  We are the same height, and I have a large loosely sewn sleeve.  I had one of the more liberal eating plans on this board.  At the end of 2 months I was 800is calories, but started adding in calories at that point (per my NUT and it coincided with more hunger).  I added in 100-200 calories at your point.  Be the end of the 4th month beginning of 5th (somewhere in there) I was up to 1200 calories.  What I would recommend is sticking to dense protein first, then your veggies.  Skip calories that do not offer a lot of satiety for the product, and watch your carbs.  I am not a under 40 carbs person... but I do watch them.  I found that if I eat 30 carbs at a meal and 15 carbs at a snack (net carbs) I would not trigger hunger and cravings.  If I eat more carbs at one sitting then I get hungry in about an hour, and cravings start to kick in.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/7/14 12:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On January 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM Pacific Time, ITwon wrote:

Ok. My "So-Far", for reference: I'm 2 months post-op. I lost 52lbs the 6 months pre-op, and I lost 44lbs these last two months. I'm 370 currently. 6'2", large frame, 34yr old male. I work out 4-5 times a week.

Ok, the question: 3oz of meat seems to be the "holy grail" of vsg eating, but I don't understand why? My NUT, along with everyone, has me aiming for 3oz of meat, and 4oz of a side. But if getting protein in is so important, and I can eat more than 3oz of meat, why isn't that preferable? Still staying under 8oz total, of course.

I won't presume to complain about my weight loss stalling these last couple weeks, having lost almost 50lbs in 2 months. But I definitely get hungry. My life is the rotation of eating and drinking, and when I'm drinking IM HUNGRY!!! Some people never get hungry and I'm very jealous of them lol (I do wait the hour before drinking, before you ask)

I do feel like I'm eating too much sometimes. And my NUT says aim for 1200 calories for my size. But I worry that's too much. But I do feel hungry pretty regularly too. It's tough. I mean, I know I'm being silly. I eat so very little than I used to. I know weight loss will pick up again. But after such fast loss I'm not ready for it to stop lol thanks for reading!

I'm RNY, not VSG, but was also a big boy. You can see my stats below. I averaged 1,040 calories a day for the first eight months before I upped it to maintain. I have always weighed and logged everything. I could eat more than 3 oz as well, and have been pretty much a lacto carnivore. It's the plan that works for me, and that I can live with long term. Many meals I will eat just meat, as much as eight ounces, but can't recall how much at two months.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

JAlston
on 1/7/14 10:26 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I would ask Keith L. on here for advice, or Frisco...some of the guys on OH...they are a great help. However, I am really surprised to read your post about eating 3oz of protein and mentioning 8oz. I am a little over a year post op and still eat 2oz of protein. At 2oz of protein and 1/4 cup of side I am good, sometimes full depending on the protein or side.

I stayed under 800 calories, under 40 carbs and over 80 grams of protein a day. 10-12 glasses of water and lost the majority of my weight in the first 7 months. My nutritionist and surgeon always told me to up my calories as well but i didnt, what I was doing worked for me. My surgeon even said I was losing weight faster then her bypass patients. 

Best of luck to you!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views