Aloe juice after sleeve?

Melanie W.
on 1/7/14 3:27 pm - WA

I love natural healing herbs and remedies and was wondering if anyone here drank aloe juice after surgery. It has great healing properties and a you can drink it for ulcers and heartburn so I thought it would help heal the staple line?!?! Any thoughts on this or any other vitamins/minerals/herbs you guys took while healing. I know after my jaw surgery I took bromelain, turmeric, garlic, arnica and liquid multivitamins and calcium to speed healing

frisco
on 1/7/14 4:45 pm

If your talking about the Korean Aloe drink...... I thought of that also, but never followed through to ask my surgeon about it because of the sugar content.

After more thought on it, the healing properties of aloe are topical? and my thought was that it wouldn't have any benefit because the healing takes place on the other side of the staple line.

Protein may be the best bet for tissue repair/healing along with keeping up the basic vitamin regime.

My thought was that the best course of action for healing (and my surgeon agreed) was time...... so I extended each phase by a week and didn't start on soft solids till week 6.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Mary Catherine
on 1/7/14 7:45 pm

If you are referring to just aloe juice with no calories or sugars, it may be a good idea.  I drank aloe juice when recovering from other surgeries and believe in its power to boost healing. 

I did not drink it after my RNY because of its tendency to cause diarrhea. low blood sugars and dehydration for me. 

mickeymantle
on 1/8/14 1:28 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I have heard of people taking it for constipation , but I would not take any herbal supplements , that are not approved  by your surgeon , right after surgery 

the best thing to do as soon as you are getting all your liquids in is to drink a few high quality protein shakes , or drinks if you are still on clear liquids

protein will speed your healing , also walk as much as possible it increase blood flow which also heals healing

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Melanie W.
on 1/8/14 1:39 am - WA

The kind I get is just aloe with no sugar or additives. It is watered down so it's not so thick, but I'll ask my doctor. I have plenty of time to plan

hollykim
on 1/8/14 3:02 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

no,don't take alo vera juice pre or post op,as it can't thin the blood and cause bleeding. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views