I've only lost 34 pounds...

min2758
on 1/9/14 3:12 pm - Boise, ID

But pictures are worth a thousand words, right?  I took some of your guys' advice and took a few pictures tonight.  I'm 8.5 weeks out and have lost 34 pounds since surgery.  Doesn't sound like a lot but thats 1/3 of the way there in 2 months... But I've been feeling a little discouraged (especially when I read how others have lost much more in less time) and no matter how many times I tell myself "you can't compare yourself to others", I still do.  Its just natural.

Anyway I posted a few progress pictures on my profile.  I can't seem to put any titles or captions yet (site issue still?) but that's where I'm at today, right now, at 8.5 weeks.  Less than 2 months.  My before pics are from a trip this summer.  Those pictures are what made me realize I *must* do something about my weight, even something drastic like surgery.  Thing is, it seemed more drastic pre-op than it has been post-op.  All that's changed is how I eat.... funny how that works.

Imakitekat
on 1/9/14 5:44 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

I think your doing great and your still early out! Be patient, it will come off. You started at a lower weight so it may take a little longer, just be patient with yourself! Who was your doctor? I think you will be fine, did I mention patience??? :) just keep doing what you are doing, you will get there!

Sandy M.
on 1/9/14 8:32 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

If you must compare yourself, how about comparing yourself to...yourself?  When's the last time in your life that you were able to lose 34 pounds in 2 months?  I'd say you come out the winner!  Great job!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

destined2beslim
on 1/9/14 10:02 pm - Upper Marlboro, MD
Revision on 12/09/13

I agree with Sandy- 34 pounds in 2 months is awesome!  The pounds will start dropping if you just stick with the plan.  Your body just needs a minute to adjust.  Also, my nutritionist told me that it isn't always the case that "lightweights" drop at a slower pace.  It is up to you and your nutritional plan.

Jackie T.
on 1/9/14 10:31 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Also remember that people track there weight differently.  There are people that have on their tracker their highest weight which could have been several months before surgery.  Others have what their weight was when they started their pre op diet.  There are others that have their starting weight on the day of surgery.  This is just one more reason why you can't compare and also height and amount of weight you need to lose play a big part in how quickly you lose.  You are doing great no matter which of these is your starting point.  You are down 34 pounds and you should be very proud of yourself!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

MayPenGirl
on 1/9/14 11:40 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

Congratulations on losing 34 pounds.  Please do not feel discouraged.  You are doing extremely well!!  34 pounds in 8.5 weeks means that you are losing approximately 4 pounds a week.  That is an awesome loss.  Do not downplay your incredible loss!! 

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

hollykim
on 1/10/14 1:21 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

4# a week is not good? May I respectfully ask what you were expecting?

tysmom01
on 1/10/14 3:18 am - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

I think a 34 pound loss in 2 months is pretty awesome! Take your own advice and don't compare yourself to others. Especially being a "light weight", you'll lose slower. And each person loses differently than others. Everyone lives differently, exercises more or less than others, eats more or less of certain type foods than others, get more or less fluids in than others. So if you compare yourself, you'll go crazy!! Just keep up the good work that you're doing!! 

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

min2758
on 1/10/14 7:41 am - Boise, ID

Thanks, everyone!  I felt like I needed to take pictures to see progress and then share it!  I honestly don't know what I was expecting.  My surgery date was Nov 12 (Dr. Smith in Salt Lake City) and I had hoped to lose 40 pounds by Christmas.  I expected the pace to slow down after 3 months but the initial loss to be greater.  If that makes sense?  I've had two week long stals so far.  If I kept up the pace, I would be at goal in 5-6 months but I don't expect the pace to continue.  I realize that doesn't usually happen.  But, when I read someone else say "I've lost 40 pounds in 3 weeks!"  ....I cant help but feel a little bad, like I've done something wrong because I haven't even lost 40 pounds total yet!  

I know that's not true.  So a picture progress report was in order.  Sometimes the pictures show much more than the scale.  I didn't see the change in my face because I look at my face every day but looking at it there in the pics... I finally see a difference! 

I'm excited to to take pictures at 3 months now and see how that looks.  The scale isn't the only way to measure progress... 

tysmom01
on 1/10/14 9:27 pm - MS
VSG on 08/12/13

That is so right! I wasn't able to see progress until I compared my before pictures to my updated ones. And also, I really think losing slower is better than so quickly. I'd rather lose the weight gradually than to have it all come off in a short time. Hang in there! You're doing great!

Age: 34 ~ Height: 5'5 ~ HW: 287 (7/28/2013) ~ SW: 272 ~ GW: 150 ~ Goal weight met 8/9/2014  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views