One word tip for pharmgirl (and others prepping for surgery)

G5x5
on 1/13/14 1:54 am - VA

Meditation.  I'll try to explain, but this might not be the easiest way....

Once you get in the pre-op area focus on your breathing....You want to regulate your inhales and exhales on a 5 count.

Start by exhaling all you can, then Inhale while mentally counting off to 5 in a steady even pattern.  The goal is to reach your maximum capacity as you reach the 5 count.  Then do the reverse by exhaling on the same count to 5.  Again, the goal is to expend your last bit of air as you reach 5.  Then just keep repeating this over and over (and over and over).

In fact, don't stop, let this be the last thing going through your head as they put you under.  When all is done, and you're in the post recovery area, if you can remember anything, remember to practice the same breathing technique, it will help with the gas pain and what not as you come out of anesthesia.

It's actually harder than you think when you start, but after a minute or so you'll get the hang of it.  The trick is regulating it on a steady even 5 count both in and out.  You also want this to be a pretty full inhale and exhale; these are not little breaths.  You really want to get all the air out and then all the way back in.

If this sounds strange to anyone, all I can say is it really works.  It's exactly what I did and it was amazingly calming and worked wonders with the post-op gas pains.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

debk21
on 1/13/14 2:48 am - Mansfield, TX

Great suggestion! That's a wonderful thing to focus on while your silly brain is in chaos....

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views