4 week liquid diet !!

saravmf
on 1/14/14 2:59 pm - Canada
I am starting my second week of liquid diet for surgery on the 5th, and I am starting to hate the sight of the diabetic boost that my Dr suggests. He recommends that or low sugar ensure, but I found boost cheaper and more tolerable. My question is: wouldn't it be better to be making my own protein drinks with either skim or almond milk like I have been doing for a while now in preparation of my new diet after surgery? Also, today, I couldn't stand another sweet drink, so I had a bit of chicken broth. I have also added a couple pieces of frozen fruit and ice to my Boost to give a bit of variety. Does anyone know what exactly they are needing me to cut out to reduce my liver? Is it ok to add only a couple pieces of fruit once every couple days? Is chicken broth ok, or is the salt a problem? Also, any tips to making this diet a bit more palatable, would be much appreciated. I know it's only 4 weeks, but it seems like it's taking forever! Thanks
Victoria215
on 1/14/14 6:55 pm

Hello, I would bring these questions to your dietitians attention. I have been able to choose my own protein as long as I make sure  I am getting my 60 grams. The reason they want the liver to shrink is because they will need to retract it to access your stomach and if it is too inflamed it can impair their field of vision. Good luck to you, I'm scheduled for Feb 27, I had my band removed in 2012.

TexasTerritory
on 1/14/14 7:13 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I am 5.5 months post-op and I don't eat fruit. Too many carbs for me. I follow my plan and track all of my food. Post-op, my tastes have totally changed. I don't have cravings. Achieving WL is a hard journey that requires determination. Frisco says it requires compliance and commitment. I totally agree.

Talk with your medical team about changes to your diet now. Pre-op lifestyle changes are critical to a successful WL post-op.

All these changes are so worth it as you become healthier. Learning to adapt to your new self will be very exciting.

ambrosia79
on 1/14/14 9:11 pm - PA

Every pre-op diet seems to be different, and I think it can vary from one person to the next due to comorbidities.  I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a couple of months, but I totally fell off the wagon around Christmas.  At that time, it was looking like surgery wouldn't be for quite a while due to insurance changes when my husband was laid off.  Now I have a date of Jan. 29th and when I told my bariatric nurse that I hadn't been following the plan very well, she said "just restart today".  My liquid pre-op diet is only for the 3 days before surgery and it is a strict liquid diet.  I can have broth, protein drinks, sugar free jello etc.  No added fruit for that. Best to check with your doctor to see about the fruit. A whole month of strictly liquids would be incredibly difficult, so kudos to you for sticking to it so well!  As far as making your own protein drinks, if they have all the nutrients in them that your doc wants you to get, then it would be better to make your own.  Maybe cheaper, too!  To reduce your liver, I think it is mainly cutting out the bad fats and carbs. Good luck with everything!

Glow2182
on 1/14/14 11:31 pm - WA

The most important thing to do to reduce your liver is to cut out CARBS (in all forms except fiber - that won't affect the size of your liver). The chicken broth is fine.

HW 505  SW 446  GW 200.       VSG Surgery on 1/22/14

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/14 3:06 am

FOUR week liquid diet before surgery? Wow that's messed up.

My doctor did a 2 week liquid diet before hand, and everything was fine. I think 4 weeks is way too long for all liquid.  (And the first week I even had a few (last suppers) lol. But the week before surgery my nerves were so frayed I didn't mind the liquid only.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views