Thirsty while eating.

MeAreToo
on 1/20/14 3:19 am - TX
VSG on 12/27/13

I know that we're not suppose to drink anything 30 min before and after eating, but I get thirst while it eat. I'm currently in my puree portion of my diet and still have this problem. My mouth gets really dry. I was told my my team that I could eat one grape after my meal to give my mouth moisture.

The only thing I can do is rinse my mouth out. Now I know what my fluid overloaded patients feel like when they can't drink! No glycerine swabs for me! Yuck! Can't have ice either it = H2O  

Well, I still have the problem of during. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

happy loosing!

MeR2 

Jackie T.
on 1/20/14 3:45 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

You need to continue to work n this.  In a perfect world you would follow this to the "t" and not deviate at all.  My surgeon's office told me that if you are going to drink during that period of time it is better to take a small drink prior to eating your meal.  Unfortunately, this means tha****er is taking the place of where protein should be.  If you drink after you then you are helping to break up the food more and wa**** away.  Frisco's post on the pyloric valve is good at how it works but here is another example that I also heard.  Take a strainer and pour applesauce into the strainer, it will take a while to break down and flow through the holes, take that same strainer, pour applesauce and then water and see how fast the applesauce goes through those holes.  If you don't drink, the food will stay in your stomach longer and you will not feel as hungry as fast.  This is also why eating dense protein is recommended because it takes longer to break down and move out of your stomach. Carbs take up space and leave your system a lot quicker.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

MeAreToo
on 1/20/14 5:12 am - TX
VSG on 12/27/13

I understand and know the reasoning/concept behind on not to drink; and appreciate the reinforcement. I wanted to know if any one knew of any other tricks on alleviating dry mouth during eating.  I only have a 30 min lunch and (1) 15 min break. So I can't drink 30 min after, I can't take water into the operating room.  I Can drink between operations, but they go for hours. Gum is a no and so is sugarless hard candy. My surgeon told me he wants me to concentrate on my water/hydration, but of course he wants me to eat too.   Any suggestions are appreciative.

Happy loosing!

MeR2 

mkvand
on 1/20/14 6:36 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Have you tried biotene mouth spray?  It's specifically designed for dry mouth.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

The_True_KayD
on 1/20/14 7:04 am

I understand what you mean about feeling thirsty after a meal. I make sure that with each meal I have something that is moist. For example I have a bit of mashed cauliflower with my protein.  I also add in a drizzle of olive oil when I eat chicken or fish. That makes it a bit better for me. I then distract myself for about an hour. (doing it right now). I want that protein to sit a bit in my stomach!  I hope this inspires something that you can do! It is all trial and error. I am sure you will find a solution that works for you! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

MeAreToo
on 1/20/14 7:07 am - TX
VSG on 12/27/13

Thanks

MeR2 

The_True_KayD
on 1/20/14 7:21 am

I forgot to mention that I brush my teeth..

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/14 8:15 pm - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I drink right up until I eat because we have a pyloric valve and the drink is just going to go right on past. It's not going to sit there and make you too full to eat. It seems in your cir****tance, you should DEFINITELY drink right up until you begin eating. Then, you should obviously not drink and eat and then wait 30 minutes after. I still always wait 30 minutes after eating, at least, to begin drinking. But I think if I didn't drink up until I ate, I would also be struggling with thirst!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views