Submitted to Insurance Today

sanjali23
on 1/20/14 8:07 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Well my paperwork was submitted to insurance today and funny thing is that the closer I get I am not at all nervous. I feel like I should be nervous about getting so close but I'm more concerned with whether or not I'll get approved and just how much time I'll really need off my new job. I'm just so ready for this to be over and for me to be on the loser bench. I cannot allow myself to be consumed by negative thoughts of what could happen. Someone said to me today that you know there is a .3 percentage chance of death which is the same as 1 in every 300 doesn't that scare you? I looked right at her and as honest as ever said "no" and it was the truth. I just truly believe that I'll be just fine. Now I wonder what it means that I'm not worried. 

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

pharmagirl_45
on 1/20/14 8:30 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I was worried at all until the day of surgery but that was normal.  Everything will work out!  Good luck on your approval.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

sanjali23
on 1/20/14 8:58 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Thanks Pharmagirl. I remember reading your process and was routing for you the entire time to get your sleeve. I'm glad your doing well and healing nicely I hope

— Dave Gardner

Lemily
on 1/20/14 8:49 am
VSG on 01/16/14

My surgery was scheduled for Thursday January 16th. My insurance approval came 20 minutes before I was to leave for the hospital. As long as you had a good team in your doctors office who knew what your insurance needs, you should be fine. That being said I was denied the day before surgery. If that happens do not get discouraged. Most insurance companies do a peer to peer reviews where your doctor speaks with the physician from the insurance company and they go page by page through the documentation. DONT GIVE UP if you get a denial first shot. You can appeal and get it approved,

I have had 2 csections and gall bladder surgery so I knew from a pain perspective i was going to need at the minimal a week off from a very sedentary job as you really can't drive. It's major surgery although laproscopic. And not to mention you are in hospital 1-2 days. I have my first checkup this Friday. If he clears me to drive I may take one or two more days and then go back to work. You don't know how much more time you will need over a wee****il after the surgery when you see how much pain you are in and if you think you can manage a liquid diet anyplace outside of your home.

i hope this helps. Still the best decision is ever made. Worth the time and worth the fight!

good luck!

sanjali23
on 1/20/14 10:11 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Thank you so much for this reply, it was very helpful. I really hope I can go back to work in 2 weeks as I just started with the company so complications would be no bueno. I so hope I don' have to go through the appeals process. I was approved before and didn't go through with the RNY so I hope this time will be just as easy as that time was.

— Dave Gardner

Chrissy W.
on 1/20/14 10:09 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Keep that sort of Zen! I really believe that keeping a low level of stress makes things go SO much smoother, both pre op and post op. Some studies even show that keeping stress levels low speeds healing too! Best of luck!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

sanjali23
on 1/20/14 11:30 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

thanks Chrissy

— Dave Gardner

Mary Gee
on 1/20/14 9:39 pm

Hope your approval comes quickly and you get scheduled for surgery soon.  

Like you, I'm not nervous about the surgery either.  My SO keeps trying to talk me out of it because of his fears - I keep telling him no matter what, I'm doing it.  I have complete faith in my surgeon and his team.  I think WLS patients are better prepared for surgery than anyone else -- we're made to go through all sorts of pre-op testing to be sure the surgery is safe.  Besides the psych and nutritionist and informational meetings -- I have to have sleep study, cardio consult w/ stress test, etc.  

Best wishes to you    

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

LML8789
on 1/21/14 12:11 am

If you've followed the steps your insurance company has laid out then you'll be approved.  As far as not being nervous, I wasn't either (I'm 8 weeks out).  I did my research and I felt I had educated myself enough to know if this was a good decision or not.  (and it was!)  I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and your weight loss journey!  Lisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 292 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views