Tylenol 3 + VSG + food + dumb guy = pain

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/21/14 9:36 pm, edited 1/21/14 9:37 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Yesterday I decided I was going to have a party with my dentist. I went in to get a couple of cavities filled, and ended up with 3 filled + 2 crowns.  I was most sore, and because I'm a tough manly man, and therefore a complete wuss I took the tylenol 3 she gave me.  I mentioned I'm a wuss right?  I'm also a lightweight with narcotics- a little goes a very long way with me. 

Then, I remembered I'd forgotten to eat. I don't really fully recollect eating, but based on what I left in the kitchen, I figure I ate about 5 oz, maybe a bit more, of tuna. That was last night before 9.  Today at 7:30 am I'm nauseous and my stomach is just as sore as my mouth. I suppose the meds I was on suppressed my "stop button" and my judgement was both poor and slipped to previous habits. Totally my fault. 

So, word to the wise.  Eat before drugs, and try to make sure your loving wife won't let you eat after.  

Painful lesson learned. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Mary Gee
on 1/21/14 10:31 pm

Oooooohhhh - Dentists.  I have such a dread of going to one.  I know I need to have one tooth pulled, and a huge cavity filled.  But Wusss  -- I'm a real *****  I can deal with all kinds of pain - but I get chills down my spine when I think of dental pain.  Right now my teeth are bothersome, but not painful.  When it gets to the point where I have to go to a dentist, I will have to be h-e-a-v-i-l-y sedated (like knocked out!).

Hope you feel better soon.  Lessons learned the hard way are remembered!  

Mary

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/21/14 11:16 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Michael! You fixed the glitch LOL

I understand about the Tylenol 3, it's pretty strong stuff. I admit I laughed that you were all over medicated and got the munchies LOL  Your poor new tummy!

I've found that when something disagreeable happens with my tummy I dial back to broth, tea, protein drinks and the like so my tummy can sort it all out.  

Great info post, I'm sure that there are people who have to take pain RX for one thing or another so thanks for sharing yet another adventure with your sleeve

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/21/14 11:39 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Yep, it took awhile and lots of swearing but I did get there.  

One thing I thought of additionally that my wife reminded me to mention.  

DON'T TRY TO DRINK PROTEIN DRINKS WITH NUMB LIPS. It's messy.  

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

lil1inside
on 1/22/14 5:45 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

LOL

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

hollykim
on 1/21/14 11:47 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

there is a definite difference for me being sick after my VSG than before it. Now,if I am sick or have a procedure done,my restriction goes into high gear. I can hold way less of food and drink than when I was well. 

This is true even nearly 4 years post op. I just know it is going to happen now and plan accordingly. I too have to eat with most meds and I plan for that,even if it is just one bite. I make sure to not become dehydrated,because even now,115# down!there is enough fat on my body to sustain my life while I get over the illness/ procedure. I basically go back to immediate post op diet plan and that seems to work for me. 

I am presently 19 days post op plastic surgery and this entire time,my restriction has been in super cooper overdrive. I didn't even have restriction like this in the weeks immediately post op. You will learn how to manage this and when you do,every time you are sick or injured,the "sick" plan will automatically kick in. 

I will also mention if I have a virus? Throwing up? I can end up I the er from dehydration. Ina matter of hours so be forewarned about that too.

gl

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views