there's no such thing as a stupid question, right?

bigredlt
on 1/24/14 1:44 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with
I've been morbidly obese for 22 years now, and I'm ready to reclaim my health. I have good insurance, but like so many other plans, it does not cover WLS. Therefore, I will be Mexico-bound in March. I have read every thread on here, and I must say that I am inspired, envious, I rejoice in your triumphs and cry over your pains and setbacks. I know that there had to be numerous people that would say "if I can do it, anyone can" !!! I'm determined. I have researched just about every surgeon in Tijuana. I'll bring my personal assistant surgeon with me (God) and put everything in his hands. I hope this wasn't too rambly for a first post!! Anyway, now for the questions... I'm having VSG, so, to check my math, if I want my surgery on 3/7, I should buy plane tickets arriving on 3/6 and departing 3/11, right? Where do I leave my cell, tablet, & cash while I'm sedated? Did you tip the drivers & helpers? If so, what's customary? Did you pay in full before you got there, or did you bring the balance with you? Thank you for any answers you can give! I'm already proud to be a member of such a wonderful family.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

BeginsToday
on 1/24/14 2:37 am

Welcome,

I had surgery with Dr Ponce de Leon in Tijuana in Nov 2012. I went straight into surgery soon after arriving at the hospital, spent 2 nights there then 1 in a hotel. We also spent a night in San Diego because of the flight schedule north. If you take someone with you they just stay in your room during the surgery, if on your own, ask about a safe place to leave your stuff. Personally, I felt it would have been safe to leave it in my luggage. We tipped as we would in Canada to the drivers because they do make you feel safe crossing the boarder. I took a certified check with me to the Doctor and didn't pay anything prior to going. I had a positive, safe experience in Mexico and if you go to Dr Ponce try arrange through Trish, she is great.

Enjoy the journey

mkvand
on 1/24/14 8:33 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I had surgery on the sixth with Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras.  Since I'm in the pacific time zone and he's central, I had to fly out early.  I left on 1/4 and got to San Antonio 1/5.  The driver picked me up a few hours later and drove me to Eagle Pass, TX, where I spent the night at a hotel, which they paid for.  The next morning, 1/6, she picked us up and took us to the hospital.  I had surgery that morning, and was in the hospital two nights.  Wednesday after discharge the driver took us back to San Antonio. I chose to spend another night in a hotel there, which was included in the fee.  The other American who had surgery the day I did went straight to the airport.  I flew back 1/9.

I didn't pack much cash, just what I thought I'd need for tips.  Also, I was out of it and forgot to tip some of the people, but I think you're supposed to.  I took my phone, which is old, and my kindle, which is also an older model.  I just left them in my hospital room.  If they'd been super new and fancy I might not have, but who wants to steal a five year old blackberry?

I had to pay a $1000 deposit to hold my surgery date, then bring the rest as a cashier's check and pay the morning of surgery.  It was $8700, and that included everything but my airfare.  Unlike many posters I've seen, they gave me all my required medication before I left the hospital. I did not have to find a pharmacy.  That included the acid reducer, two types of pain reliever, and an antibiotic (preventative--I didn't have an infection). 

I was also given detailed pre and post op instructions via e-mail before arriving, then hard copies upon discharge, which the nurse went over with me to make sure I understood everything.  I've heard people talk about going to Mexico and not getting a post-op plan, but Dr. Alvarez gives very detailed instructions, including a copy of his book.  I've also received follow up e-mails to check on me and remind me to change food phases.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 334 views