Seafood suggestions for Someone who Likes Tuna

Chida
on 1/30/14 2:31 am

I'm not a real seafood person. For example, shrimp looks and feels like bugs to me. So, that's clearly a texture issue. I like tuna, ate fish sticks as a kid, and like Long John Silver's fish with malt vinegar. Love malt vinegar.

I'm wanting to be more open to fish/seafood. Soooo.... those of you who eat seafood, knowing what I like, what would you recommend I try?

sillymilly
on 1/30/14 3:09 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Have you tried salmon?  It's a meatier fish.  You can also buy it canned like tuna to flake over a salad or mix with mayo, but I've never done that.  It's my favorite fish to order when I eat out.

I wouldn't touch shrimp until I was in my 30s, because I couldn't get over how they looked when they were alive.  Now I love them - our tastes change as we get older.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

tdallison
on 1/30/14 3:10 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Tilapia is my favorite.  It is a mild tasting fish, easy to grill :-)

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

honeybeeme
on 1/30/14 3:46 am
VSG on 01/22/14

I suggest haddock. Really most of the whitefish are less fishy tasting and have a tuba like texture.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/30/14 4:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Tilapia is great, very much like cod (which is usually used in fish sticks) and lots of ways to prepare it. I'd also suggest halibut if you can find it (easiest if you live on the west coast), it has a very firm flesh-- the texture is almost like a pork chop!-- and we used to grill it on the BBQ when I was a kid.

I'd also suggest trying some crabmeat, the kind that comes flaked in a can. The texture is a bit similar to canned tunafish, but a bit... finer? Silkier? I like to mix a little bit of it into a scrambled egg, or with a teeny bit of low-fat mayo and roasted veggies for a seafood salad. Cooked crab can be a little fibrous and might be a bit too close to shrimp territory so I'd suggest the canned stuff first.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

cappy11448
on 1/30/14 6:13 am

I never ate seafood before surgery and now I love salmon.  Its moist and flavorful, and it has a lot of protein for the calorie count.  Give it a try.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Chida
on 1/30/14 6:55 am

Tell me how y'all cook this fi**** sounds good!

jndrake
on 1/30/14 7:17 am - Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
VSG on 12/10/13

Hi, if you are not into fishy fish, stay away from salmon, I however love it and think it tastes buttery. Cod and Haddock alre nice and mild and you can make a nice tartar sauce with greek yogurt and dill. I also recomend scallops (bacon wrapped are to die for) , lobster meat -canned or fresh, and imitation crab are some of my favs.

"You're off to great places today is your day your mountain is waiting so get on your way.Oh the Places you'll go" Dr.Seuss

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/30/14 7:39 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I like Ahi tuna steaks. I can get them at Costco or Sam's. I use about 1Tbs of olive oil and throw a bit of cajun seasoning on it. One tuna steak is two meals for me. I tried the ****tail shrimp that are cooked, tail on and they were too salty for me. I'm thinking about giving sardines a whirl pretty soon..I'll have to see the calorie content because they are in olive oil.  

I don't eat anything breaded because of the carbs and the thought of eating anything deep fried is just gross as hell right now at 3 months out. 

isign4u
on 1/30/14 1:49 pm

I really wish I liked fish.  It would make things much easier. I do like shrimp, crab and lobster but those are things I don't make at home.  The only fish I have ever liked is orange roughy.  It is a white fish that is flakey once cooked and has no fishy taste.  I would put it in tinfoil with a pad of butter and lemon and bake in the oven.  The last five mins I would open the tinfoil up to let it brown a bit on the edges.  Fish is so expensive too, but it would make this eating plan so much easier if I liked more of it.  Good luck!

"One mistake does not a day make"        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views