hospital bag?

jessies824
on 1/31/14 3:00 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

What should i bring with me to the hospital to be most comfortable i have never had to stay in a hospital before

LessEb2Luv
on 1/31/14 4:39 pm
VSG on 02/06/14 with

I haven't had my surgery yet (Feb 6) but I'm packing my comfy yoga pants a t-shirt and sweatshirts and of course my everyday toiletries.  I'm also packing my slip on tennis shoes and slippers. I hope that helps, I'm going easy, comfy & non-constricting. Best of luck on your journey. 

claimmaster
on 1/31/14 5:57 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I wasn't in anything but the hospital gown during my visit so they could get to the incision sites and ekg, etc...  I wore the same closes home that I wore to the hospital.  I had chapstick and gas-x strips that I never used.  I had my Kindle which I never used.  The hospital provided me with slippers for walking around the hallways after surgery.  I brought stuff to take a shower and do my hair.  I was out of the country, so my phone didn't work anyway, but if you're in the states, you'll definitely want that.  There wasn't anything that I'd wished I'd brought.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Bufflehead
on 1/31/14 7:08 pm, edited 1/31/14 7:08 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I made sure to wear loose, comfy clothes to the hospital so that I could wear the same things home. While in the hospital I only wore their gowns and non-slip socks. The hospital gowns make it easy for them to get to your IV's, drains, etc. They'll give you an extra one to wear backwards so you don't flash people when you are out walking the halls.

Basic toiletries - toothbrush & toothpaste, hair brush, comb, deodorant, and lip balm. I brought my phone and charger which I definitely used. I brought my Kindle which I only used pre-surgery and only then because my surgeon was running late. I didn't even turn on the tv once during my 2 night stay, I was so focused on sipping, walking, and napping. When my friend came to pick me up, she brought a pillow for me to put under the seat belt for comfort, so I didn't need to bring a pillow with me. There was nothing I felt like I forgot or wished I had during my hospital stay. I treated walking and sipping as basically a full time job and I didn't have time to worry about or do anything else.

Scribbler
on 1/31/14 10:20 pm

I've had quite a few hospital stays over the years. You'll be in a gown most of the time, so don't worry about bringing extra clothes. Wear something comfortable to the hospital with a loose waistband. A big T shirt or nightshirt and some old baggy sweatpants with sneakers would be fine. They'll have you change into the gown straight away and you can put the clothes in a bag for when you go home. Last surgery I had, I didn't even bother with a bra. It could rub against your incision sites and chafe.

I recommend bringing a chapstick and a toothbrush with toothpaste if you have a favorite kind you like because your mouth is going to taste like something crawled up in there and died, especially after your surgery because they stick yucky things up in there. Bring a hairbrush and a rubber band to tie your hair back and keep it out of the way if you have long hair.

A cell phone is probably a good idea, but I noticed that reception isn't always good in all parts of the hospital. Mine didn't pick up a signal at all after my last surgery until I shambled down to the cafeteria and then I got yelled at for being out of bed.

Leave the books, Kindles, personal gaming devices and other toys at home. You probably won't have the energy to use them. The pain meds they're giving you tend to wreck the kind of focus you need to run those things. You'll halfway listen to a bunch of lame daytime TV and doze a lot. I'm allergic to morphine and a bunch of those kinds of painkillers so they give me different stuff, and whatever they give me in my pain button machine thingy really throws me for a loop and conks me out, so e-readers are not even on the radar.  :)

If you're lucky enough to have a friend willing to come out with you and keep you company (read: be all bored and watch Dr. Phil while you trip balls on painkillers), that friend is the best thing you can bring!  :)

Oh yeah, and paperwork and anything that the surgeon told you to bring, like your nutrition booklet, your medication, your incentive spirometer and maybe a water bottle.

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

mustlovepoodles
on 1/31/14 11:55 pm
VSG on 12/31/13

i went to the hospital in comfy pjs which i planned to wear home. i took clean undies and wore hospital gowns during my 4day stay. A few toiltries, no makeup, chapstick, cell phone and most important of all, my backscratcher! It was a lifesaver when i had an allergic reaction nd broke out in hives head to toe.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

The_True_KayD
on 2/1/14 12:13 am

I wore the same clothes home that I wore in...sweat pants, top and sweatshirt, and slippers that can be worn outside. I packed Deod, chapstick, toothpaste, and a pair of pj bottoms. I had my cell phone.

I had a pillow in the car to hold against my stomach on the ride home. It helps with bumps in the road! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

mickeymantle
on 2/1/14 1:22 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

i brought a few magazines  and puzzle books  , and a clean pair of undies , everything else the hospital suppied, toothpaste and brush, shampoo, soap

I brought my cpap mach as per instructions but the hospital required me to use theres

I brought a pillow but left it in the car for the trip home

I used the hospital phone , there phone is free and I did not need to worry about the signal, but I did bring my phone book

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 2/1/14 1:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'll be taking chapstick, my Kindle+cord, iPhone+cord, and that's about it.  I assume everything else I need will be provided by the hospital!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MAchick
on 2/1/14 2:33 am
VSG on 01/27/14
I just got home from the hospital two days ago. The only things i really used were my lip balm, cell phone, small pillow for splinting, pj pants for under the gown, undies, and antibacterial gel for my hands. I couldn't wash my hands because of my iv and O2 monitor so the gel was a lifesaver. I honestly didn't do much about my hygiene because I felt too poorly the first two days. After that, I started washing and brushing my teeth a bit. I also used Listerine strips for my terrible breath. I had an NG tube that goes down your nose, down your throat, and into the stomach and it sucked. So dry!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 384 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views