How do you mess your sleeve up?

goleftoklahoma
on 2/1/14 6:23 am
VSG on 01/24/14

Any thoughts on specific: foods, amounts, behaviors. narcotics, head hunger, binging, alcohol, bread, pizza, vitamins, advancing too fast, etc that could help make the difference in a well maintained, properly functioning sleeve?  I think the more information we can combine here could help others when they search the forums, and I know some of these things I've read but have forgotten.  Thanks!

mkvand
on 2/1/14 9:01 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I think the worst thing you can do to mess up your sleeve is eat things you're not ready for.  One of the things I learned when I was in the hospital was that although my surgeon has never had anyone die from the surgery itself, there have been two patients who died after being released from eating foods they weren't cleared for, puncturing the staple line, and getting sepsis.  I also have a coworker with RNY who takes NSAIDS, and now has multiple bleeding ulcers that will require a revision.  She had a friend chug multiple pepsis in a row the day after RNY, rupture her staple line, and die.  These are obviously extreme cases, but I for one haven't cheated on any of my stages, including the pre-op diet, because I don't want to be the next weird cautionary tale.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views