Struggling with fluids

mustlovepoodles
on 2/1/14 8:04 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I am 5 weeks postop and I have been eating softs for 2 weeks. I realized today that I have not gotten 64oz of fluids in any day this week. Obviously, I know that's not acceptable.  The problem is with the timing. I stop drinking 30min before and 30min after a meal. Often when i eat I am so full for hours that i just can't drink. I sip and sip but I"m not making much progress.  I am only eating shrimp, fish, mozzarella cheese sticks, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, and eggbeaters. I'm wondering if I just need to go back to liquids and try again later. Or try eating some lighter weight stuff, like apple sauce or Cream of Wheat. At this point, I'm drinking 1-2 protein drinks a day, but it's hard to get them in too.

I'm going to call my doctor's office on Monday because I don't see them for another 2 weeks.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

mkvand
on 2/1/14 8:34 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'll be four weeks out on Monday, and I'm having the same problem. Right now I'm using protein shakes for breakfast and lunch so I can get both the fluids and protein, and I'm still not hitting 64 oz.  The doctor assures me it will get easier as time goes on because the swelling will continue to decrease, but I've heard from several people on here that that can take 7-8 weeks. :(

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/1/14 1:46 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

I'm 3 months out and still don't have a rhythm when it comes to drinking. I usually end up pounding a few water bottles after 7 PM. I like to eat my protein and wait an hour..I know people say to sip, sip, sip all day but I just struggle with that. I was never really a big water drinker to begin with so it's not coming naturally to me. I do end up getting 80oz + daily but it's a chore. I'm wondering if my drinking habits will change once it's warmer? 

ttnelson
on 2/1/14 2:07 pm

I have same issue so I only drink protein shake for the breakfast, when I woke up.

I had 32 oz in 3 hours, then I had a protein bar with 30 gram protein. Then the rest of day, I had another 50 oz and two meals.

mustlovepoodles
on 2/2/14 9:24 am
VSG on 12/31/13

This is really stressing me!  Before surgery i could easily hit 100+ ounces a day, without even trying. I like water, in fact, i prefer it to other drinks. Today I've been able to get in about 28 ounces and it's after 8pm. That's probably the lowest amount since surgery. In fact, prior to starting softs I WAS getting in about 80 ounces a day, but with the addition of food I just don't have the room for the water. Even an hour after a meal, if I try to drink something I have to take veeeery small sips so I won't throw up. I don't think anything is wrong with my sleeve--obviously, its working--but i just don't  know how to improve my fluid intake unless I just stop solids.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

saraD1977
on 2/2/14 11:27 pm

I'm in the same boat! (VSG 12/31/13) The "waiting period" 30 min before and after gets me every time. I also found moving back into a softer diet helped me improve the fluid intake (like you said you feel full for hours, I often forget about drinking...it becomes a chore! Then I try to catch up at nihht and end up gulping and feeling awful) Its hard to move forward into food and then move back to shakes...but I keep reminding myself its temporary! (but frustrating)

Hang in there....I feel your pain! 5 weeks doesn't sound like a long time for most people but it has moved slow as molasses for me!

I tried to eat out with my husband the other night and ordered salmon and mashed potatoes. Of course I took 4 bites and was done. The waitress kept asking me if everything was alright, did I not like the food?! I made the mistake of trying a few more bites because mentally I wanted it so bad....ended up with the hot spits making a beeline for the bathroom because I thought I was going to toss it!

Maybe not ready to eat out yet but the cabin fever I have had with the frigid weather up here in Mass has been depressing...especially because I can't get out and just go for a walk...and of course that darned Groundhog saw his shadow...! 6 more weeks of winter ;) sigh...

Hope your doc has some good advice...post back if they tell you anything that helps!

Sara

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views