Stay off of your scale

goleftoklahoma
on 2/3/14 11:50 pm
VSG on 01/24/14

May I suggest to only weigh once per week.  I think the emotional rollercoaster will be easier to handle if your not stepping on the scale daily.

Once per week is sufficient and then you may not even experience "stalls".  Measure yourself in inches. Figure up percentage of body fat lost PER MONTH and if you didn't lose any percent of body fat for the month then call it a stall. If you did lose inches, or percentage points in the month then no stall  

I imagine if we do this FOR ourselves we would be happier.  Also it takes some self control that we are learning to master to say NO; I know I'm doing well and I don't need to get a # on that machine to tell me that.  Remember our bodies do all kind of weird things like retain water, and actual weight daily may not be a good reflection of your hard work.  

And take pictures of yourself for comparison.  You'll see your hard work through comparison.  Especially for those who exercise you may not lose lbs, but inches and gain muscle.  

Nikke2003
on 2/3/14 11:56 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

This is definitely something that I wish I could master. I would love to weigh myself once per week; however, I can't seem to help myself from getting on the scale everyday. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with getting on it everyday if you are someone that can keep a cool head when you see the natural fluctuations. I used to be able to do that until I started getting close to "onderland" - now the daily weighing has been affecting me WAY too much. Ugh!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Shagdoll
on 2/4/14 12:44 am

Nikke, I can see how this has benefited you because you are rockin' the heck out of your weight loss!  Whatever you decide to do, keep up the great progress.  I see your goal post coming soon ... whoo hoo!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Nikke2003
on 2/4/14 2:01 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Thanks for the support! I have been really struggling mentally lately. The loss has been SO slow and up and down. It's frustrating... ugh! I want to be under 200 so desperately and I'm just dancing above it! :/

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

butterfly3851
on 2/4/14 12:09 am - TX

I see what you are saying but for me - I have to weight every day to keep me accountable. Like I'm up now 1 1/2 after the Super Bowl Sunday night.  So seeing that number made me determined this week to get that off.  I have to work on my head when I do see the ups and downs every day and realize it's a journey - not an over night process.  

I so wish I had done the measurements along the way - that would be so inspiring!  

claimmaster
on 2/4/14 12:11 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I'm way more stressed weighing once a week than I am if I weigh daily.  I feel much more in control when I can see the effects of my efforts on a daily basis.  When I only weigh once a week, I'm a wreck the whole week wondering if I'm gaining, staying the same or losing.  If, after that week is over, I haven't lost any weight, I'm crushed because of the anticipation I've had about it.  But if I weigh daily and I don't lose anything in a week I'm pretty OK with that.  Also, not weighing everyday gives me mental permission to overeat or eat something I shouldn't early in the week, figuring that I'll be able to make up for it the rest of the week.  I'm much more accountable every day when I know I'm stepping on the scale the next morning
Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

The_True_KayD
on 2/4/14 12:13 am

I agree about getting on the scale only once a week. This was one thing that I learned from my eating disorder counselor. I weigh myself Monday AM. I focus on my eating and exercising. I have no control over this inanimant object! A friend of mine was weighing herself every day. She felt crazy! We suggested to her to just do it once a week. She tried it and admitted that it was less stressful! I will weigh myself twice a week when I reach maintenance.  

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

rengirl1978
on 2/4/14 12:13 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

AMEN! My scale is broken, and I am so thankful for that. I can only weight at doctor appointments or at the Y.

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

Fallenangel2904
on 2/4/14 1:19 am - NY
VSG on 11/14/12

I go both ways on this. There are times when I weigh every day obsessvily and if I got up a few points I freak out...Its an addiction. I think I'm usually in a very focused frame of mind when I get like that, super focused on weight loss, healthy eating etc, and I NEED to see the scale move down. But there are other times when weighing daily holds me accountable. There have been slumps where I've gone off track for a while, and still weighing daily stopped me from going too far in the oppoite direction. It was helpful to me because if I saw I gained a few pounds I pulled it back and focused on changing it. So I kind of have a love hate relationship with the scale.

Robin- Post Op- Surgery November 14th 2012
HW:379 SW:359 CW:272 GW:199

GigiT
on 2/4/14 1:23 am - TX

I needed to read this today!  Thank you so much and I am putting my foot down ( not on the scale) and will weigh once a week 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views