Question about Carbs and protein bars (quest bars)

laviecharmee
on 2/7/14 3:16 am - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

So I was jsut reading the "whatcha eating tday VSGers" and saw that a number of people eat protein bars in particular the quest bars. I have been staying away since all the bars I have ever seen have 20 + grams of carbs. I know that most if not all of you are keeping your carbs below a certain number so I have to ask.... what is your number for Carbs and how do the protein bards fit in?

I still do protein shakes for Bfast but I think I would love to try a bar I am just worried about the carbs.

Thanks!!

~ Kim     Never take away someone's hope, it may be all they have left

(DEC  -19)  (JAN  -16.4)  (FEB  -9.2)  (MAR -13.5)  (APR -4.8)  (MAY -4.6)  (JUN -8)

BetterTheSecondTime
on 2/7/14 3:29 am - Cortlandt Manor, NY

I've been curious about this too...my paperwork says in BIG BOLD LETTERS - NO PROTEIN BARS....because they have too many carbs/sugars.

I have come to HATE the protein shakes, though I'll gag it down if I have to...I'd much rather have a bar. When I was in a pinch in an airport over the weekend, I got a ThinkThin bar and ate 1/3 of it, but I don't know if it's something I could do regularly?

Spencerella
on 2/7/14 3:45 am, edited 2/7/14 3:45 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

During my weight loss phase I used Quest Bars very sparingly - basically as an 'emergency' food that I kept in my purse for those few times I got caught with no planned or available food. 

As you've said, the bars are too high in carbs for the majority of us who are very low carbers and who count all carbs (as opposed to net carbs). Personally, I've always counted all carbs and I find that even in maintenance I do best when I keep my total carb count relatively low. Although I indulge in bars more frequently now, I'm aware that they can be 'triggery' and lead me to jonesing for the next one or for other sweet tastes. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Chrissy W.
on 2/7/14 3:49 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Many people look for bars that have very low NET carb counts. Meaning that while they may be a bit higher in carbs than one might want for a snack, the fiber content makes up for it...

Carbs - Fiber = Net Carbs

The idea is that the fiber "cancels out" carbs. I just looked up the Quest Cookies and Cream bar (the one that Shagdoll reviewed) and found that it has 22g carbs - 17g fiber = 5 net carbs. And 21 g protein. Not a bad haul for such a small "meal."

I have started eating "Power Crunch" bars (I REALLY like the French Vanilla... tastes like the old-timey vanilla wafer cookie that my grandmother always had in her house). The packaging says that it has 8g carbs - 1g fiber = 7 net carbs. And 14g protein. I'm going to try the Quest bars when I run out of these, as they have a bigger "bang for your buck."

I hope that makes sense. It took me a while to understand whn I first started counting net carbs! I was like, "But HOW am I supposed to rationalize something with such high carbs!?"

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

sillymilly
on 2/7/14 9:58 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I love Power Crunch too.  I keep one in my purse for emergencies.  My favorite is peanut butter.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/7/14 4:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

My surgeon's rule is that protein bars are OK if they have 1g protein per 10 cal, or 10g protein/100 cal. Easy to calculate!

So most protein bars (powerbar, luna, even most Atkins that I've seen) are right out, because they'll have 11 or 12g protein for 200+ cal, usually because of the carbs. A few, though, like the Quest bars, or I recently found some others at the drugstore that are 18g protein for 180 cal (can't remember the brand, but caramel/peanut with chocolate), work out to be OK. The latter has 19g carbs, but with that much protein, the surgeon says it's an OK trade off for the weight loss phase, especially when you're only eating half the bar.

That's my surgeon, though; your medical team's advice may differ.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Shagdoll
on 2/7/14 4:33 am

Quest Bars or should I say protein bars in particular seem to be a hot subject on these boards and I can see why.  I personally did not eat them until after I reached maintenance BUT have since experienced some regain (but not from quest bars).  I wasn't told to stay away from them from my doctor but I was told to get my protein direclty from stuff like fish, meat, & eggs. 

Some people as you see count all carbs, some will only count net.  I have had to watch my intake with them closely to see if they are triggers but I came to realize if quest bars are the worst thing to eat for me personally at this stage in the game & as far out as I am, then I'm ok.  I don't eat them everyday.  A box of 12 can last me a month or two. 

Not that there is any connection but I'm someone who used to struggle with eating discorders (all 3!).  I found if I "indulge" in a Quest bar to prevent a mini binge or to grab something way worse, I think I'm doing pretty decent.  I can eat one without feeling shame or guilt.  Again, this is just me.  I know everyone is different.

I would check with your doctor to see if they think it's ok BUT in my honest humble opinion while you are in the rapid weight loss stage, I would stick to protein shakes & dense proteins.  I was known back in the day during my weight loss phase to switch up my protein shakes and create concoctions so I didn't get bored.  I loved the Nectar protein flavors like mint cookie & cookies'n'cream.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

frisco
on 2/7/14 2:04 pm

I think that all protein bars are "less than smart" during WL and in the critical time in which new habits should be formed.....

Belgium Chocolate Truffle Creamy Peanut Butter Quest Bar....... is a candy bar anyway you look at it.

I had a free one at a GNC about 6 months ago just to see what all the fuss was about......It looked like a candy bar..... it tasted like a candy...... it is a candy bar....

The worst part is that I can see how someone (me) could go nuts on those things and rip through a whole box in one night...... total slider food.....

That said, I have traveled with the Pure Protien brand as well as nuts and Jerky just in case. Most times the bars end up so mangled they end up in the garbage.

To be honest..... In maintenance.... if I want some candy bar.... I eat candy bar..... about the same calories.....

To the OP..... if you havn't had any bars yet..... just stay off them.... no advantage what so ever !!! 

On another note.....I never bought into the net carb thing. Sure there may be something to it, but it requires more thinking.

Lot's of people make this much harder than it should be and try to pu****when they should be pulling back....

Keep it simple..... those who feel deprived without candy..... to bad, should of thought about that while you were getting fat....(this goes for myself also)

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Grim_Traveller
on 2/7/14 9:49 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree with some of what you say, but please don't try to convince anyone that a Quest bar is equivalent to a candy bar. Yes, it is a treat, and a decent snack if no better, portable alternatives are available. But a candy bar has twice the calories, ten times the sugar, none of the protein, and much more potential to trigger cravings. 

Compare the nutrition labels of a Quest bar with an equivalent size candy bar. They aren't even close.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sarah_durso
on 2/7/14 2:44 pm

Here's a blog, written by the maker of Quest. Very interesting.  http://blog.questproteinbar.com/are-quest-bars-too-good-to-be-true/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 378 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views