Foreign Service Officer position

sanjali23
on 2/8/14 7:00 am - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

I applied for the foreign Service Officer position over 2 years ago lo and behold I get an email 5 days before my surgery that my application has been accepted and I should come for an oral assessment. I know that you have to pass the medical portion of the process but now I'm wondering will I be accepted with bariatric surgery in my history? does anybody know how to answer this question

Success is getting what you want, happiness is wanting what you get. ”

— Dave Gardner

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/14 2:02 pm

I don't think they can hold it against you unless you can't pass any physical tasks. Check into the ada . I see no reason for it to come up in interviews unless you insert it. I worked tsa, was accepted into secret service and my hubby works for the feds too. (I didn't accept the offer for the secret service fyi)

carrie054
on 2/8/14 2:37 pm

I don't know for sure, but I don't think it will be a bar to service.  Bariatric surgery is a bar to military service, but FSO requirements are generally much more lax than military. 

Good luck! 

sanjali23
on 2/8/14 7:29 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Thnk ou so mucgh for te response. This has calmed my nerves a little

— Dave Gardner

Antimony40
on 2/8/14 8:55 pm - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

You can go to a war zone as a civilian and a contractor with bariatric surgeon (although I see someone posted you cannot as a military member).

My personal (not professional) opinion is that as long as you are at least a few months out from surgery, it shouldn't be an issue--I wouldn't want to be a a 3rd world country immediately after having surgery in case I had a leak, but other than that, I can't see anything that would cause issues. 

Best of luck on your assessment!

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

sanjali23
on 2/8/14 10:54 pm - Orlando, FL
VSG on 02/12/14

Thanks Antimony and I do agree however it's not that smple. Because working as a FSO can hve you some pretty crazy places of the world they might very much observe the same rules as the military and I did check and the military will not take you if you've had bariatric surgery, even years after. I was surely hoping that of the thousands of people on this site one would volunteer that they are in fact an FSO and there surgery didn't pose a problem...no such luck yet. Thanks for the response though

— Dave Gardner

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 292 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views