Ohio Support or lack thereof

Miah_Momma1218
on 2/14/14 3:41 am - Columbus, OH
VSG on 03/18/14 with

So, I'm a little disappointed I was really hoping to find a support group near where I live through this site - but NONE of the groups in Ohio, or near Columbus anyway, seem to have much, if even any, activity. The groups are there and no one responds to any threads, no one does any posting, and only a handful have even joined the groups. So discouraging.

In other news I started a pre-pre op diet today trying to rev up for the full pre-op diet (2 weeks from now, wow!) of 2 protein drinks a day and salad for dinner.  I substituted my lunch for a protein shake today "Core Power" vanilla shake. It didn't taste too bad, I sipped on it for about an hour or so to fini**** and about 2 hours out after finishing it I'm only a little hungry, and I'm sure I'll be STARVING by the time dinner hits!

- Jenners - "We travel the world over to find the beautiful, but we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 y/o, 5'1", Highest Weight 250, starting weight 227, weight at surgery 217

Gwen M.
on 2/14/14 3:58 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might have luck finding a local support group if you call the local hospitals that have bariatric programs?  That's how I found the one I'll be going to next week!  Even though the closest bariatric hospital isn't the one I'm using, they were still happy to help me.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Miah_Momma1218
on 2/14/14 4:11 am - Columbus, OH
VSG on 03/18/14 with

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that yet.  I'm sure OSU has a great Bariatric support system, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

- Jenners - "We travel the world over to find the beautiful, but we must carry it with us or we find it not." Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 y/o, 5'1", Highest Weight 250, starting weight 227, weight at surgery 217

Gwen M.
on 2/14/14 4:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome!  Good luck!  

I'm checking out my WLS Support group for the first time next Tuesday.  Fingers crossed. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

busboss1
on 2/14/14 10:09 am
VSG on 12/18/12

I'm an Ohio gal! GO BUCKS!!

I had my surgery at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton, OH. Dr. Teel who is youngish, awesome surgeon. When I went back for post op and he asked to check my incisions, he got the biggest smile on his face. I said, pretty proud of your work huh? He was and I am too. Not a scar on my belly and I've lost 99 pounds. AWESOME! I feel great and haven't looked as good, honestly since before I had my fist child. He is 29 years old!

I thought I'd like to go to support group meetings but had no one to ride with to Dayton. My surgeon's office holds support group meetings. I live 35 miles north so I've been a whole one time. This site is great. I got my support by logging on to it nightly after work. I don't log on daily now but only once in awhile. If I every have questions, I still log on. The vets give good advice about anything and everything. I also like myfitnesspal but use it only to log my food daily, not for support really although some on there are good at supporting each other. For me logging my good was and will always be SO important. I've missed a day or so here and there but it is rare.

I hope you find support close to Columbus. Check with your surgeon and OSU. I'm sure they have a bariatric unit. Good luck from one Ohio gal to another and again....GO BUCKS!

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Grace4me
on 2/14/14 2:11 pm

I'm just at the beginning of this journey. I'm still waiting on approval for my surgery. This is the first place I've looked for support, and it seems to have a lot of good conversation plus info.  I'm in Ohio also, but farther south than you. I'm planning on going to Kings Daughter Medical Center in Ashland, KY for my surgery. My friend went there, had a great surgeon and good results. She's been a fount of information for me. I'll try to check in on this site and see how you're doing. I wish you all the best in your journey. We Ohio gals have to stick together!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views