making changes based on hydrostatic results: A report

VSG on 06/12/13

In early January, I had my hydrostatic testing completed. As a result of that test, the test administrator told me that my true resting metabolic rate required 1740 calories per day. In talking to him and learning more, I realized that my previous daily caloric intake of 800 calories was too low and was likely impacting my ability to build muscle. He recommended that I increase my caloric intake to 1240 calories per day, 500 less than my RMR, which would still result in a safe weight loss of 1 lb per week. I took his advice, telling myself I would give it a month and monitor my progress and if I wasn't happy with where things were going, I'd switch back. 

It's been a month. I have averaged about 1100 calories per day, generally staying between 40-60 g carbs per day and 100+ grams of protein. Here are my results:

Weight lost: I lost 4.7 lbs in the past month, which is not substantially different than the 5.5 and 5.2 lbs I had lost in the two months prior, respectively. Overall, my weight loss is slowing down. I went from a loss of 10.1 lbs from September to October, down to 6.2 in November, 5.2 in December, 5.5 in January, and 4.7 now. I suppose that is to be expected as I approach goal. 

Inches lost: I lost 2.75" lbs last month, taken off of everywhere. The month prior I had lost 5.5", so it was lower, but the month prior to that, I had lost only 2.5"

I continue to be satisfied with my results. 95 lbs down, 5 lbs from my doctor's goal and 8 lbs from my own. I'm wearing a size 10 in most things, down from 22. I am thinking I may be able to get to an 8 in the not too distant future. Mindblowing. My energy levels are definitely better with the higher caloric intake.

I'll repeat the hydrostatic test later this spring to check progress. FWIW, the hand-held device at the gym registered a loss last week from the previous reading, as well.

The hydrostatic testing has certainly been an excellent tool to fine tune my program to my body's unique needs. Making these changes feels like the beginning of a good transition into maintenance. I am hoping I hit goal next month or the month after. It is such a powerful feeling to know that I have control not only over what I am eating, but can also drive how my body responds to what I eat.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Nikke2003
on 2/12/14 8:58 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Very interesting! I want to be able to do this soon.

Did they say anything about how the testing machine handles excess skin when it calculates your body fat %? I'm just wondering if that affects it...

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

VSG on 06/12/13

They didn't separate out other than to give me a readout of total fat (about 40 lbs) vs lean body mass (127 lbs), but I would expect that when I have a TT I would expect my BF% to drop considerably. That is, truthfully, a big part of my decision to adjust my personal goal upward from 150 to 155. It is becoming apparent that I'm not going to be able to lose that tummy skin/flab completely without surgical intervention. In order to get to 150 (subsequent BF% of about 15%) I would need to be absolutely skeletal everywhere else which seems too low. My revised goal of 155 puts me at 18.5% BF, just under the doc's goal of 20%. (158 lbs).

Laurie

Tracy D.
on 2/12/14 10:50 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Was excited to see your post because I'm going back for my 2nd round of hydrostatic weighing in a couple weeks.   The last time was at the end of September when I was about 30 lbs. from goal.  It'll be interesting to see how much muscle mass I've lost (hopefully very little!) and if I'm close to the 25% body fat that I'm shooting for.  Not sure if my facility will provide my resting metabolic rate but I'm gonna ask them. 

Your numbers look great and I'm glad to hear you're so close to goal and feeling more energetic.  I've definitely felt better at a higher calorie level too.  

You're a rock star, Laurie!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

VSG on 06/12/13

Thanks, Tracy! Admittedly, I am just trying to figure this out as I go. I can't wait to hear about your results! You were the one who inspired me - along with JubJub - to get this done to begin with. So glad we are on this journey together.

Laurie

jameas
on 2/12/14 11:34 pm

Good inform, can i ask whats your food plan look like avearge day thanks ahead

jubjub
on 2/13/14 1:58 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Excellent information, Laurie!  Great to see, in detail, how others are using the available tools to monitor and hone their progress.

I'm planning another Dexa scan in a few months, I figured I'd do 1 of those per year, roughly, and a BodPod in between... i'm looking forward to the data... my weight has gone up a few pounds, and I want to be sure it's muscle, not fat.  I'm definitely stronger than I was 4-6 months ago, due to more workouts and a focus on strength building during the winter. I did allow more carbs during the strength program, but now I'm getting curious to see what's going on with my body fat, and want to "cut" my fat to as low as possible before the serious cycling season gets going. I did a fair amount in Palm Springs last week (411 miles) and despite being 5-8 pounds heavier than at the peak of the season last year, I was much stronger on the climbs... so I'm hoping that's indicating that the added weight is all leg muscle!

Tom

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op