Feeling frustrated

mishaann01
on 2/15/14 8:33 am

My surgery was 2/3 and all was going great with weight loss, but the last few days I've stayed the same and this morning it said I gained 1/2 lb. How is that possible? Water weight? Thinking of having my hubby hide the scale because I'm going to drive myself crazy.

Oh and I lost 10 on postop diet and 12-1/2 since surgery. Is that good? I don't feel like it is considering I need to lose 120 more pounds.

HW: 280.4 Pre-op diet: -10 (270.2) SW: 270.2

Surgery date: 2/3/2014

jessies824
on 2/15/14 8:42 am
VSG on 02/04/14

hide your scale!!!! i was weighing myself every day and getting stressed out about it and now i just do once a week you body may retain more water are you dehydrated? i wouldnt freak over 1/2 lb look at the positive you have done great my surgery was 2/4 and im down 14 so sounds like were roughly about the same 

laviecharmee
on 2/15/14 8:44 am - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

assuming you did the 2 week pre-op that is  22.5 lbs in not quite 1 month. Now at any other time in your life you had lost 22 lbs in a month, wouldn't you be excited as heck? I do feel your frustration as I was the same way. I had surgery on 12/16 and lost at roughly the same and felt frustrated. I did have a stall and thought what the hell??? But I promise if you keep at it the scale WILL start moving again. I weigh everyday cause yes I am obsessive that way too, BUT I only log my weight once a week. Hang in there. Do your thing, try not to worry if you are normal or doing it right because you are :)

~ Kim     Never take away someone's hope, it may be all they have left

(DEC  -19)  (JAN  -16.4)  (FEB  -9.2)  (MAR -13.5)  (APR -4.8)  (MAY -4.6)  (JUN -8)

sillymilly
on 2/15/14 9:46 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Don't worry about it bouncing up and down a little.  It can be a number of things - water, clothing, even constipation.  I don't consider myself to have reached a new weight until the scale has stayed the same 2 days in a row.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

mollz007
on 2/15/14 9:47 am
VSG on 02/20/14

You are doing great! 12.5 pounds in under two weeks is wonderful! I agree that you should hide the scale and start weighing yourself once a week on the same day every week. Keep up the good work!

check out my blog!

Scott S.
on 2/15/14 10:47 am - TX

You're doing great.  Just remember this is a marathin, not a sprint.  The scale will not move straight down.  There will be stalls, reversals, and frustration.  

But there will also be weight loss and a healthier lifestyle that needs to be embraced as well!

Keep working the program and the loss will restart.  Try tp measure your success in weeks/months, not days!

VSG: 8/8/13 

nurvahnah
on 2/15/14 12:24 pm

based on the replies that I am seeing in this post I will hide my scale and like today I will only weigh myself once per week.

themexcellentone
on 2/15/14 12:31 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Losing 22 pounds in less than a month is pretty damn good.  Quit weighing so often and trust that this process will work for you.  You have already lost 22/142 pounds...do the math:  that's 15% of your total loss gone already. 

Have patience...you will need it later on in the process when the scale doesn't budge, or you keep losing and gaining the same pound.  Trust me on that one. 

Just keep doing what you're doing and the weight will come off.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Scribbler
on 2/15/14 12:38 pm

Stalls are going to happen. Make sure that you're diligent about tracking your foods. Look out for "carb creep". That 1/2 pound can be water, constipation, or just the universe playing games with your mind.

1/2 pound, by the way, is not cause for concern in my book. Now if you gained 5 or 10 pounds right out of the gate, THAT might be something to bring up with your surgeon - it could indicate some problem that needs medical treatment.

I don't recommend putting the scale away altogether because I think it's important to know where your numbers are - but, maybe that's just because it works for me to weigh every day and I don't lose my mind if I go up a pound or two because I understand that little fluctuations happen. BUT, if seeing your weight go up at all freaks you out, maybe it's better to hide the scale.

By the way, I had surgery on 2/4, have lost right around 25lb since starting my pre-op diet (10 since surgery) and when was the last time I lost that much weight in 6 weeks? Yeah, that's right! I'll take it!

Stick to the plan and those 120 will also melt off. It's a slow process but we'll get there! I'd love to lose that much, myself - it would put me right around my high school weight.

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/15/14 2:29 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

You might want to try keeping an eye on your sodium intake because that can cause water retention. I prefer a lower sodium bouillion broth, but when I am retaining water weight I go to no sodium bouillion. Not a big fan of it, but it's warm, I can spice it up a bit and the weight comes off faster.

Keep up the great work! 22.5 lbs in a month is awesome!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views