Not sure where to post: 2nd surgery?

terrapin16
on 2/17/14 9:20 am - CO

I had vertical sleeve done Jan 2012 in MX.  Lost some weight at the beginning and then it just stopped and I'm at the same size I was before surgery.  Has anyone had a second weight loss surgery done?  What kind?  Where?  Results?  Any info would be so appreciated.  (I would LOVE not to have to go back to MX).

I'm embarrassed that this didn't work (for me)....and that I failed at it.  I haven't been back to the place I grew up (where my family still is) in over a year.  And that's just absurd!  I'm just mad at myself for this and I wanted to know of any success stories the second time around.

I really don't visit this site too often bc I feel like I don't belong as I didn't succeed like the rest of you.

So, if you have any info, I'd love if you could reply to my email address at [email protected].

Also, I went to MX because I didnt have insurance.  Now I have insurance and I cant even imagine them ok'ing a second weight loss surgery if I failed the first one.

Feeling sad and frustrated in CO.

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/17/14 9:53 am, edited 2/17/14 9:54 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I'm not sure where that would be posted? I know there is a poster on here that had the sleeve and somehow stretched it out..and went in for a gastric plicaton..basically another laparoscopic surgery folding the extra stomach into the existing pouch to take up the space and provide restriction again.  You can google it..I know my surgeon here in TN offered it, but I believe it's still considered experimental so not sure if the insurance covers that. As far as your insurance, you never know until you try, right?

In the meantime, get back to basics...60-80g protein, eat protein first, always, 30-40g carbs, 64+oz water, no fluids 1/2 hr before, during or 1/2 hr after eating. The dense protein blocks the pyloric valve at the bottom of your stomach and gives you that full sensation. If you add fluid, it will wash the protein right on out.

Bearz
on 2/17/14 10:02 am

U do belong here. I had my surgery in Mexico. I loved it. But back then depending on what size of tub they put down you stomeck to make your pouch could be the problem. They use the small one now. But then it could have been the bigger one.if you don't ask you don't no. But if u go to beliteweight.com you can get it in the US or MX. They are who I went through and I liked it.hope everything goes good for you and don't hesitate to come back to this site.

jakebsmommy
on 2/17/14 12:05 pm - Waldorf, MD
VSG on 04/29/13

I had my vsg in 2011 in Texas and it was done incorrectly.  I moved back to MD in 2012 and started seeing Dr. Shope at Washington Hospital and he redid my sleeve in 2013 and I have been losing weight since.  I currently weigh 183 and lose everyday.  My sleeve is the tightest he could make it which for him is a 32F. My insurance company needed all my previous documentation and I had no problems getting approved for the second VSG hope this helps!

Cheri  
Mary Gee
on 2/17/14 12:09 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I would see a bariatric surgeon.  Did the surgery fail, or were you non-compliant?  They'll probably do some testing to determine if your surgery was done correctly.  If it was, then you'll have to work on compliance.

Don't feel that you don't belong here.  You'll get a lot of support and answers to your questions.  Keep reading and keep posting.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Jessica B.
on 2/17/14 1:13 pm

Don't rule out insurance just yet. Find a doctor and go see them. They may know a way around the insurance company. You could have multiple problems with your sleeve. I've seen sizes 32f-42f (whatever they may mean) and each doctor is different. Don't give up on yourself so quickly! You can do this.

mickeymantle
on 2/17/14 2:20 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

most people that fail fail because they are not following a good plan , measuring and tracking all food

you need to see a good nut and get on a good plan , you may need to see a therapist if you have problems sticking to a plan 

there are people on this site that have done great with huge sleeves , they used to make them size 50-60 at the beginning  and people lost weight with them , with smaller sleeves you just lose a little faster 

the plan is the secret  the surgery is just a tool to help keep you on the plan

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mary Catherine
on 2/17/14 5:24 pm

The revision forum is the best place to post this question.  They are people who have had second surgeries and can tell you about their experiences.

Actually being successful with weight loss surgery is dependent on how many calories you are eating per day.  The sleeve can help you to feel full with a small amount of food, but like any weight loss surgery, it becomes very easy to take in more calories than your body is burning.

terrapin16
on 2/18/14 10:53 am - CO

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I think I will try to get a referral to a bariatric surgeon in my area to see if the procedure was done properly.  I know I'm partly to blame for not losing as much as I wanted to, but if my stomach was decreased to 10% of its size, wouldn't you think that even if it DID expand some, it's still a fairly small pouch for food meaning the weight should still be coming off bc I cant eat anywhere near the amount of food I could eat in the past?

Does that make sense or does it only make sense in my head? ;)

jessies824
on 2/18/14 3:44 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

can you still eat about the same as before? i just had mine done and they say max is 4 oz 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 73 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 273 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views