Starting to Feel Better

LeeYaan
on 2/25/14 1:46 pm - Sacramento, CA
VSG on 01/30/14

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op vsg.  I have had a bit of a hard time, not serious but recurring bouts of nausea and fatigue that were making it more challenging to follow the post op diet stages.  I increased my water intake a few ounces and this seems to have helped.

The 'schedule' that seems to give me the best results is to drink water for about half hour upon rising.  Right now this is about 4 oz for me.  Then I stop drinking for 30 mins prior to eating breakfast (usually greek yogurt with added protein) - during this time I bathe and dress. Eat breakfast; then walk for half hour.  Resume drinking water for about an hour.  Then drink a protein drink - this will take about an hour or so.  Suspend water/liquids for half hour.  Eat lunch. Resume water about half hour later - enough to have 32 oz for the day so far.  Go for second walk during this period.  Suspend water/liquids for half hour.  Eat dinner.  Resume water half hour later.  Drink about 8 oz; then have second protein drink (~ 6 oz).  Drink another 8 oz before retiring for the day.

I'm able to eat about 1/4 c food before I get too full.  This is working well at the moment, although admittedly I am still off work for another two weeks.  I'll have to change it up a bit when I go back to work so that I exercise before and/or after work as I don't have the luxury of taking half hour breaks during the day.

The scale seems to have parked itself on 280 for several days now.  Frustrating.  Reviewing what I do to be sure I'm compliant, and increasing my exercise time so I hope it will break through soon.

I'm very excited to start the small, moist foods on friday!   In spite of some of the challenges such as the nausea and fatigue, I'm glad I had the surgery and am looking forward to the journey from here on out!

What You Are Not Changing, You Are Choosing - Laurie Buchanan

mollz007
on 2/25/14 2:08 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Sounds like you are doing a great job! Congratulations!

check out my blog!

LeeYaan
on 2/26/14 4:41 am - Sacramento, CA
VSG on 01/30/14

Thanks for the encouragement!

Calaska
on 2/25/14 3:50 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

As a pre-op, I liked reading what your day is like. Thanks for sharing. It must be a exciting time for you. 

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

LeeYaan
on 2/26/14 4:48 am - Sacramento, CA
VSG on 01/30/14

Exciting for sure!  It's 'work' too, but exciting work.

michellebrad
on 2/25/14 9:41 pm - Eastlake, OH

I'm still trying to work on a schedule to get everything in.  I'm doing great with fluids, but protein shakes make me SO full... like Thanksgiving Dinner full.  BLAH!!  Anyway, I'm only a week out so no yogurt for me, but I think I'm going to try some of what you're doing so that I don't worry at the end of the day when I need to get in more protein.  Thanks so much for sharing!  I'm excited for you too! 

Highest weight: 389   Weight at day of surgery: 370   Surgery Date: 2/19/14

LeeYaan
on 2/26/14 4:51 am - Sacramento, CA
VSG on 01/30/14

I had to drink my protein drinks slowly to alleviate that FULL feeling.  It got easier over time to take in more liquids at once.  But I know exactly what you mean.  I literally sat there staring at my glass thinking I just could not take another sip.  So I stopped for a while (30 mins - 1 hour****il I wasn't full anymore.  My surgeon said if I had to choose between food and water, choose water and there were a couple of days I did just that!  

Good luck with your journey too! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views