Chana Masala - ok? to low protein / high carb?

Stacy_WLS
on 2/28/14 12:42 am

Hey Everyone!

I love Indian food and am enjoying cooking at home.  My sister passed on this recipe for slow cooker Chana Masala.  (http://cookinginwestchester.com/2013/02/super-simple-seriously-good-slow-cooker-chana-masala.html)

The main ingredients are chick peas, tomatoes and spices.  I know this is healthy, but I'm worried the protein will be a way low (~8-10 grams) per serving compared to most of my meals, and the carbs will be a bit high.  I know these are good carbs, but still I'm not sure.  This will also help me get in some extra fiber.  

What do you guys think?  Do you incorporate meatless meals into your diet?  I was thinking if I balanced it out with higher protein meals and snacks for the rest of the day it would be fine.  Or should I wait until I am further out to have something like this?

Let me know what you think!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/28/14 1:01 am
VSG on 10/30/13

There are some on here that believe in moderation.  

I am Team All In. There is nothing moderate about having 80% of your stomach removed. There is nothing moderate about getting 60-100g protein daily and keeping your carbs from 20-40g per day. 

I follow the vets on here to see how they've lost weight and stayed at their goal weights in maintenance. The recipe you are wanting to try at 2 months post op is a meal that would maybe be eaten once you are in maintenance and only on occasion.

Others will chime in, as for me, at 4 months out, I wouldn't eat it. It's not high protein and too many carbs

Scribbler
on 2/28/14 1:03 am

What a coincidence, I'm also making Indian food tonight. The hubby has been wanting chana dal and a couple of other things, and for a change I'm actually up to making them. I'll probably have a few bites, but, I personally wouldn't eat a whole bowl of Chole, myself - that's pretty carby stuff, especially when you look at the protein vs. carbs. I guess I wouldn't have a problem eating chickpeas if I were a beanpole vegan with no history of metabolic issues, but, since I do have the obvious reactions to carbs, yeah, I'm afraid I have to leave those alone. I'm not touching the rice at all! I have been eating a few beans (less than 1/2 cup a week) since I'm still in softs so that's my excuse, because it's soft food, but the beans are going away as soon as I can stomach actual meats without hurping.

Stacy_WLS
on 2/28/14 1:07 am

Thanks for the comments.  While I know this is a healthy dish - I was having the same reservations.  I guess I should find a meat based Indian dish to make.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Scribbler
on 2/28/14 1:13 am

One of the other dishes I'm making tonight is chicken tikka masala. Very easy to make, and easy to make lowcarb! That's the one I hope I can eat. The chana dal n' rice is mostly for hubby, who loves it.

Oh crapcakes, I need to run off and get fresh chilies, garlic and ginger before I get any farther on all this cookin' I plan to do... *dashes off to the indian store*

edelu
on 2/28/14 4:36 am - los angeles, CA

What about adding chicken? You'd eat less of the carbs, still have the taste and fill up on dense protein. pretty tasty and satisfying dish

Cheers

katym
on 2/28/14 3:40 pm - PA

Hi,

Chana masala was a mainstay for me in the early days BUT it was pureed with unflavored protein powder added. The spices masked any protein powder aftertaste. Two years later, I eat the standard version once in a while. It is tasty way to get some fiber….

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

trinoc
on 2/28/14 7:59 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

We had Indian takeaway yesterday.  Chicken Tikka Masala was my choice.  I'll go back to dal, occasionally, when in maintenance but for right now I just didn't want to skip the protein first approach.  I think it's mostly about what makes you comfortable and what you know won't derail you in the long run.  we can't know that for you and can only advise on what works for us.  :-)  

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

tbhandari
on 2/28/14 9:55 pm, edited 2/28/14 9:56 pm
VSG on 12/16/13

You can add chickpeas to salads. Use green sprouts, Chickpeas and Kidney Beans, chickpeas and kidney beans can be boiled and added to salads. You can also add cottage cheese to it. Just add rock salt and lemon juice. It tastes good.

You can check India Recipes on www.tarladalal.com too

SW : 404   CW : 294 GW : 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views