emotional eating

beckers80
on 3/1/14 8:56 am

Has anyone been to therapy and researched why a person over eats. What makes you eat when your not even hungry. I'm at the beginning steps of meeting with doctors for the sleeve. But I want to find out why I do what I do first. Why am I overweight now. Is there something emotional wrong with me and how do I find out what triggers me to overeat, and why do I choose the bad foods I eat? I need to STOP this process for when I do have the sleeve I don't have a gain, I want to be 100% determine and no set backs, I need to find why I am fat now.

Anyone have any tips to figure that out.

Tlove6
on 3/1/14 9:43 am

I'm only pre-op, but I just started seeing a psych about this issue! Food has a role for many overweight people, stress relief, emotional connection or it just tastes so damn good! Lol

My Dr specializes is anxiety and eating issues, even anorexia, etc. She hopes to find out why I make bad choices, ie what the emotions are and to give me tools to make better choices. 

I don't want to have surgery and in one year screw it up because I am stressed and eat crap! 

Try to find a psychiatrist who specializes in this issue. Good luck! Oh and group sessions are great, makes you feel like you're not the only one who stress/emotion eats. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 12:14 pm

Figuring this out is not easy.  I have really been paying attention to my emotion when I go to grab something to eat mindlessly.  For me it is anxiety.  My parents are getting divorced (they are 75 and 77) I know right?  Anyways I am 48 and am being put in some bad positions with them.  I noticed when my Mom calls to vent, I head for the fridge big time.  I also have a few blood sucking friends that give me the same re action.  I have surgery Monday and something is going to have to give because it is my time.  I am trying to have the perspective, and feel positive about this surgery.  

pineview01
on 3/1/14 2:26 pm - Davison, MI

I found a therapist that works with obese/WLS patients.  I didn't get therapy pre band but, have been seeing her since before sleeving.  I'm not "fixed" even though I know WHY now.  It is on going and I don't know if I will ever be "fixed"  So are on the right road wanting to work on this pre WLS

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views