NUT says to up carbs -- eek!

Stacy_WLS
on 3/3/14 12:23 am

I just met with my nutritionist for my (almost) 3 month follow up.  I have been having dizzy spells lately, especially after working out.  I have been eating about 800 calories / day with carbs ~50 grams.  

She thinks my carbs are too low and that I should shoot for closer to 100 grams / day.  She recommended fruit, sweet potato, and quinoa.  She also thinks 800 calories is a bit low for my level of exercise right now.

It makes me a bit (a lot) nervous to up cals and /or carbs.  

Has anyone else recieved similar advice from their NUTs?

Thanks!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Scott S.
on 3/3/14 12:29 am - TX

I ended up meeting at about 4 1/2 months with my NUT.  They did have a concern about the lower carbs, but really refocused to the energy level.  In my NUT's opinion, for this stage, the lower carbs did not hurt as long as my energy was staying up.  My labs all looked good as well (luckily!).  She didn't seem too concerned.

She was a little worried since I went off coffee after my surgery that my energy would not keep up.  So far so good!

VSG: 8/8/13 

freckles1973
on 3/3/14 12:44 am - Canada

When I met with my NUT at the 2-3 month mark after surgery and told her I was taking in about 30g of carbs a day..she just about fell of her chair! She wondered how my brain was still functioning on this low amount..lol. We negotiated and made me promise to get at least 60g of carbs in a day..I reluctantly agreed..but more to appease her at that time. Now at almost 5 months out..my average carb intake is between 30 and 40g a day. If I have a day where I consume between 50 and 60g..which is rare..I don't freak out. My carbs come mostly from fruit in small amounts..1/2 a sweet potato here and there and lots of beans..as most of the carbs are fiber. I make a lot of veggie chili with them. I find that this keeps my energy levels up.

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

mickeymantle
on 3/3/14 12:46 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

have they tested your blood sugar if it is low you can get dizzy and you will burn it quickly while exercising

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

smittyjen
on 3/3/14 12:56 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Yes! I had this happen to me recently...I was having hypoglycemic attacks and my NUT suggested to start incorporating some berries and maybe a 1/4 of an apple to keep my numbers up and it has helped..plus, I'm still losing at the same pace as I was prior.

The_True_KayD
on 3/3/14 1:01 am

My nutritionist told me to increase my calories along with carbs due to my workouts. I sort of freaked out! I found that protein bars give me a good hit of carbs. I am usually in the low to mid 50's on my carbs. I am good with my workouts now. I know I got scared when she told me I had to increase things! After I calmed down I realized that I just needed to add just a bit to my plan. I never thought that i would be scared to INCREASE my calories to 800! Cracked myself up on that! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Vanessa_M
on 3/3/14 1:23 am, edited 3/3/14 1:24 am

I had the same convo with my NUT but that was at 9 months out. I was scared to death! But with the way I was exercising and eating she said I needed to up both my calories and my carbs.  I eventually did it and I felt so much better. My runs and workouts were better and I had more energy. It also broke my stall.  Its a scary thought but I realized that the purpose of this process is to increase our quality of life overall.  No point in being thin and feeling like crap. To summarize my long winded post - listen to your NUT and your body.

Hope that helps! 

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

Cathy K.
on 3/3/14 2:07 am

Mine was at my 6 month checkup-and yes it is a bit scary. so far so good. She said I could try oatmeal, whole grains. I love quinoa. but in small portions. I do eat fruit a couple of times per day.

love it.

zra
on 3/3/14 5:54 am
VSG on 02/06/13 with

My NUT is a pusher of healthy carbs. I had to explain to her that I have no control when it comes to carbs and that I must stay under 50 in order to keep cravings and hunger at bay. She was ok with it, though it's not what she generally recommends. All my blood work is fantastic.

HW: 363  SW: 340  

happyteacher
on 3/3/14 6:40 am

Yep.  My plan had calories gradually increase as the months passed and the stomach slowly matured, and they were against the low carb mindset found on this board.  I ended up doing 100 net carbs or so a day, spaced out.  Worked great and no problem getting to goal.  I was an exerciser too.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views