Help!!

newjourny47
on 3/3/14 11:28 am - ID

Had surgery 10 months ago n hav lost 64 pounds. I don'twas doing good but lately I washav gained 10 back. I snack a lot n can't seem to get selfback on track. Anyone else hav this problem. I'm wondering if this sleeve was the right surgery for myme.

LosingSarah
on 3/3/14 1:02 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Your problem is likely that you "snack a lot" It has nothing to do with the type of surgery you had. Every surgery requires healthy lifestyle changes forever to be successful.

You need to go back to the basics to get back on track and make serious changes in your lifestyle or you will not make anymore progress. 

Good luck.

Imakitekat
on 3/3/14 6:10 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Everyone loses at different rates! That being said snacking a lot is probably counter productive to your goals...are you eating your three meals a day. I snack as well but my snacks are protein based, think thin brownie crunch bar (20 grams protein), string cheese, serving of almonds, thin slice of turkey or ham....have you detoxes yourself from sugar? Are you drinking all your water? Those three things will have a phenomenal impact on your weight loss. Eliminating sugar was the hardest thing I ever did but it has made all the difference and let me tell you, it's a hard addiction to break, not saying that is your issue, just in general. I think we all have moments of weakness and times of distress where we wonder if the surgery was a good choice for us, we just need to make sure we are directing our emotions and stress into the habits that are more beneficial for us, like exercise, a favorite hobby or sport. Things that keep us away from our old best friend, food.  Just hop back on the wagon and reconfigure some of your routine, everything will work out.......

best wishes, I'm from idaho too, write anytime to me I will try to help you if you need it!

Lisa

claimmaster
on 3/3/14 8:53 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

It seems to me that you went into this thinking the surgery would do all of the work for you.  It will not.  You MUST change the way you eat.  I would suggest counseling from a therapist who specializes in eating disorders so that you can work on why you eat when you're not hungry.  If you don't change the way you think about the way you eat, you will not succeed.  In the mean time, get back to your basics.  YOU have to make the choice to do it.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/3/14 10:55 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Here's Elina's post for what to do when you get off track..I've found it very helpful, I hope you will, too:

First, I would like to congratulate you!  You have recognized that you have a serious problem and you are not hiding from it.  You did not wait too long, only ten pounds were gained.  You are a fabulous success and now you just need a few hints and reminders and a program.  

Here it is:  

1) You will start measuring and journaing your food.  You will start at the very next thing you put in your mouth. 

2) You will consume a minimum of 80 grams but preferably more of protein each day.  This is not negotiable and you will do it. 

3) You will not eat more than 40 carbs a day.  This includes all carbs.  Do not even start with me about net carbs.  All carbs including vitamins will be counted.  

4) You will drink water like a fish. If you are not eating, you are either waiting the minimum 30 min. after the meal, or you are drinking.  You are drinking water, tea or something else with no calories.  You are not drinking a single calories until goal.  

5) You are eating three ounces of lean, homemade protein at each meal.  I don't care if it's boring, that's what you are doing now and you will not relent until you reach your goal weight again.  

6) You are eating raw or cooked low carb, high fiber veggies at least twice a day as snacks.  

7) You are not grazing, and yes, a bite of this or that is grazing.  Yes, even tasting your cooking when it's not meal time counts.  

8) You will consume under 1000 calories, under 800 if you can do it.  I do it, so can  you.  If you are hungry, make my green chicken soup and live on it.  I don't care if your food is boring now.  It's not about entertainment now, it's about your health and beating obesity.  Do it, make it happen.  

9) You will come to this board and report on your progress every day for a while.  You will journal your feelings and experiences.  You will allow yourself to feel angry, bitter, depressed or anything else you feel and still follow your program. Your feelings are not the same as your actions.  

10) You will stop beating yourself up over these 10 pounds as of right NOW.   This is normal, this is for life, this is what maintenance is about.  You are a success story not a failure.  

11) I forgot to mention earlier, when you are first de-carbing, you might need to increase your fat consumption to help you through the first few days.  

12) You will let me know if you need more help, or you will let someone know.  You will not isolate yourself, you will accept help and support and you will commit to offering the same when the next person needs it.  That means you stay here indefinitely and you realize that this stuff is for life.

Here's a link to her Green Chicken Soup:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/elina_7/blog_page,8/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/14 1:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think the general ideas reposted here are great. Lots of water, lots of protein, cut carbs. But a few objections/comments:

• "Magic soup" is NOT a must. If you're hungry, you can drink more water, have a protein snack (as calories allow), etc. Some people get "hungry" when they have excess acid as well.
  • You are in no way tied to this website forever and ever. Support is great, but you can find a local group, or people on Facebook, or whatever works for you.
  • Exercise! Get started, or do more, or change it up.
  • If in doubt, contact your surgeon, nutritionist, etc. A good doctor should be there for you after surgery! You may be able to chat on the phone, or set up a half-hour appointment for an assessment of where you're at. They're the experts, use their knowledge!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/4/14 1:36 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

The snacking is gonna kill ya man, that's all there is to it.  Elina's rules are great, but there's one missing that she told me once. As soon as I decide I want a snack, I get a good, long pull of water.  So much at once that I dance on the line of "this is gonna hurt" (my terms, she was more tactful). Then I wait 5 minutes.  Do it again.  Do that cycle three times. If 5 minutes after the cycle I still want a snack, and the time isn't right, then I consider a protein shake. I also use my glucometer religiously.  If my rate drops close to 60, it's time to eat something regardless of whether it's time.  If I'm not snack hungry after all tha****er, I was never hungry in the first place.  It was all head hunger. 

That head hunger has kicked my butt more than any other aspect of this surgery. If you can't get your head OUT of the hunger discussion, you aren't likely to be successful.  

I could be wrong, but this has been my experience so far.  

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 378 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views