Webinar: the Psychology of Suffering

jubjub
on 3/3/14 8:33 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

I found this webinar interesting (be warned, there are some audio dropouts, where the audio disappears a few times for a few seconds.... i thought it was my computer)

While about sports performance, on the surface, I think the lessons in it apply much more broadly - when you're suffering with cravings, when you have to decarb, when you're post-op and hurting... it helps to have some mental techniques to get you through tough times, which exist everywhere in life, not just at mile 19 of a marathon....

You're mindset has a lot to do with how well you'll make it through these tough periods, so it's nice to see some teaching around how to make that part of your body stronger.

Tom

----

Your heart is pumping, your legs are burning, and you’re dripping enough sweat to put out a small forest fire.

You are suffering.

When it comes to athletic endeavors, especially endurance sports, your ability to suffer can mean the difference between a good race and a great race. When you’ve taken care of the other components that can contribute to pain – hydration, nutrition, fitness, training, warm-up...what’s left?

Your mindset. It plays a huge part in your ability to tolerate pain.

If you’ve ever gotten to the end of your race and wondered if you really gave it everything you could, this webinar is for you. How do you really dig deep and go harder than you ever thought possible?

Mental Skills Training expert and author of the book On Top of Your Game: Mental Skills to Maximize Your Athletic Performance, Carrie Cheadle joins us for this webinar to talk about the psychological component of suffering. Carrie will give you the tools you need to get to the finish line knowing you gave it all you had to give that day.

Carrie Cheadle (www.carriecheadle.com) is an expert in Mental Skills Training and a Certified Consultant through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology. She works with athletes at every level, from recreational athletes to elite and professional athletes competing at national and international levels. Carrie is author of the book On Top of Your Game: Mental Skills to Maximize Your Athletic Performance, and has been interviewed as an expert resource for articles that have appeared in VeloNews, Outside Magazine, Bicycling Magazine, Men’s Fitness, and Women’s Health. 

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/upcoming-webinar-the-psychology-of-suffering-for-endurance-athletes

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views