Stall :(

Stacy T.
on 3/4/14 5:43 am - Akron, OH

It's interesting losing weight. I am currently at a stall, but to come from my highest (327 lbs.) to 270 lbs. is really a true blessing. I never thought I would be below 300 lbs again in life and possibly if I hadn't had the surgery to assist me, my previous thoughts would have most likely been accurate.

Some days, I kick myself for having this surgery, but usually that regret happens when I ate something too fast and got sick. Most of the time, I am compliant and that is when I am very happy with my decision.

I know that stalls happen to everyone at some point or another, but sometimes I think (and I know I am being irrational) I am going to be 270 from now on. Like, this is all the weight I am going to lose. No matter how much water I drink, no matter how much walking I do (I walk a lot!), no matter how healthy I eat, the scale hasn't budged! It's sort of discouraging :( Well, hopefully by March 20th (my official 4th month post-op), I will have lost more weight. 

Anyone else been here?

Sandy M.
on 3/4/14 6:09 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

If we were rational human beings we would never have gotten fat to begin with!  The mind is a tricky bugger - don't let it detract from your glory!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Stacy T.
on 3/4/14 6:29 am - Akron, OH

Thank you Sandy, I won't let it get me this time because the last time made my body swollen (darn this mind) lol But you are right! Every journey begins with a single step and I took that step already, might as well keep walking to see where this journey goes :)

Scott S.
on 3/4/14 6:28 am - TX

Stalls and reversals are part of the journey.

I have learned to use both as motivation and push me harder to workout, log food, and generally follow the plan.  

The scale can be your best friend and worst enemy on this journey!  I remember going up 3 lbs in one week, only to see the scale drop 7 lbs the next week.

Keep working the system..........

Keep your chin up and it will pass.  

VSG: 8/8/13 

Stacy T.
on 3/4/14 6:30 am - Akron, OH

Thank you :) how often do you weigh yourself now?

White Dove
on 3/4/14 6:32 am - Warren, OH

The real secret is counting calories.  Walking, drinking water and eating healthy are great, but if you do not put in less calories than you burn then you will not see the scale go down.  The first fifty or sixty pounds usually are easy to get off, after that it becomes very important to track your calories.  

Using myfitnesspal will make things a lot easier for you going forward.

mustlovepoodles
on 3/4/14 10:35 am
VSG on 12/31/13
On March 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

The real secret is counting calories.  Walking, drinking water and eating healthy are great, but if you do not put in less calories than you burn then you will not see the scale go down.  The first fifty or sixty pounds usually are easy to get off, after that it becomes very important to track your calories.  

Using myfitnesspal will make things a lot easier for you going forward.

I totally agree with this.  I count everything--calories, fats, carbs and protein.  On the very few occasions when I ate something off plan, I counted it.  I count absolutely every bite that enters my mouth.  It keeps me accountable and it's very satisfying when I total it all up at the end of the day.  I have never really thought about fats, carbs and protein before so this is all new to me. But by counting religiously I am able to keep the fats less than 30 and carbs less than 50 most days.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Scott S.
on 3/4/14 6:34 am - TX

I used to be a bit more obsessed than I am now.  My official is in the am before I shower.  That is what I log.... good or bad.  I will also check when I get home from work.

I was really interested in seeing the effect that certain foods had on my weight.  I used to check after every meal when I could.

For me, when I get home, it is a gentle reminder not to snack on things I shouldn't and if I don't like what I saw, I can review the day, and try to work out before my next weigh in.

The key is just not living and dying by the number you see.  Even if it goes up.... I'll ask myself what else I can do other than workout for an hour, drink water, and eat under 800 calories a day... the answer is nothing and the scale will eventually agree with me!

VSG: 8/8/13 

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 9:50 am - Canada

I haven't lost anything for 2 weeks.  I'm in week 10.  It sucks to not see the scale moving but at least we know from everyone else's experience that if we just stick to program it will start moving again.  Don't lose hope...you will not be 270 forever.

momto1boy3girls
on 3/4/14 10:03 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I hit the dreaded 3 week stall and it lasted almost 3 weeks.  They are so frustrating but my scale just showed change the past 2 days thank goodness!  Keep doing what you're doing and the scale will move. 

VSG with Dr. Atif Iqbal on 01/16/2014 - 5'9" Starting: 305 Pre-Op: -13 Surgery Weight: 292 Current Weight: 206

M1: -26 M2: -14 M3: -11 M4: -11 M5: -10 M6: -9 M7: -11 M8:       

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views