my mexico update

bigredlt
on 3/8/14 11:40 pm, edited 3/8/14 11:43 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

I flew into San Diego on 3/6. I called the driver as instructed as soon as i landed. He said he would be there in about 45 minutes.  I only brought a carry on, so no time was wasted in baggage claim.  The benefit was getting to sit outside in the warm sun.  I was picked up & taken to the hotel. The next day 3/7, we were picked up and taken to mi doctor hospital.  We had pre~op tests performed, then waited our turn for surgery.  I had my VSG on Friday,  3/7 @4:30pm.  Surgery took about an hour and a half. Was in recovery for an hour, then brought to my semi~private room. The nurses came in every few hours and gave meds. Some language barriers were difficult, but they got the point across.  Nausea was "now-zee-uuh" etc.  There was a fluent english speaking person here most of the time. 

Every time I sip, my stomach cramps.  Im on anti~nausea meds via IV. Sip, cramp, burp, feel a little better. 

I drank an 8 oz bottle of apple juice last night ( didnt get cleared for liquids til late), and im working on a 12oz bottle of gatorade now. They just took my iv out, so I have to sip now more than ever.  They did two leak tests,both came back ok, no leaks. We will be taken to the hotel sometime today to spend a couple of days, then back to airport on Tuesday.  There will be physician's assistants stopping by hotel  to check up on us. They will remove the drain on Monday at hotel. If anyone else has any questions, please feel free to ask. I cant answer the " any regrets " question since its still too soon, but im leaning toward no regrets.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Rknrbn13
on 3/9/14 12:15 am - Canada

Thank you for the update.  My surgery is scheduled for April 29th and I am getting pretty excited already.  Your information is great and will help me with what to expect afterwards.

Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

bigredlt
on 3/9/14 2:22 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with
On March 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM Pacific Time, Rknrbn13 wrote:

Thank you for the update.  My surgery is scheduled for April 29th and I am getting pretty excited already.  Your information is great and will help me with what to expect afterwards.

Take care and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Feel free to ask anything. I will have all kinds of tips & pointers by the time I get back Tuesday! 

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

cajunlady1958
on 3/9/14 12:49 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Glad you are doing ok. Just keep sipping and walking and the gas will go away in no time.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

bigredlt
on 3/9/14 2:26 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with
On March 9, 2014 at 8:49 AM Pacific Time, cajunlady1958 wrote:
Glad you are doing ok. Just keep sipping and walking and the gas will go away in no time.

I'm so bloated I feel like I'm pregnant! Warm works a little better for me I have discovered. 

The_True_KayD
on 3/9/14 3:15 am

I had a bit of cramping when I drank. I discovered drinking water at room temperature helped. Small sips too. I used the small medicine cups for the first day. A couple of days later my stomach started making alot of noise. It was kind of funny at times! One time it made the screeching sound and scared my cat who was sitting on me! He looked at my stomach and then me like "What crawled inside you?". The first couple of days is not the best but it gets better. You will be back to yourself in no time! I love my sleeve. I saw my family after not seeing them for a couple of months. I had lost 25lbs since seeing them and have lost a total of 56lbs. My family was so happy to see how I look. I think they love my sleeve too!! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

bigredlt
on 3/9/14 2:29 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with
On March 9, 2014 at 10:15 AM Pacific Time, The_True_KayD wrote:

I had a bit of cramping when I drank. I discovered drinking water at room temperature helped. Small sips too. I used the small medicine cups for the first day. A couple of days later my stomach started making alot of noise. It was kind of funny at times! One time it made the screeching sound and scared my cat who was sitting on me! He looked at my stomach and then me like "What crawled inside you?". The first couple of days is not the best but it gets better. You will be back to yourself in no time! I love my sleeve. I saw my family after not seeing them for a couple of months. I had lost 25lbs since seeing them and have lost a total of 56lbs. My family was so happy to see how I look. I think they love my sleeve too!! 

Thank you for the tips! I cant wait to be past this stage.  Now I know what its like to have a drain in...and how much I want it out!!!!  As soon as it doesnt hurt to laugh, I'll be ready for the crazy noises!

mollz007
on 3/9/14 3:35 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

check out my blog!

pieg00
on 3/9/14 4:09 am

Hang In there - you are on your way!!

bigredlt
on 3/9/14 2:32 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with
On March 9, 2014 at 10:35 AM Pacific Time, mollz007 wrote:

Sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you so much! I was so nervous! But I did it! I'm ready to measure real food.  It was crazy sitting at the restaurant in front if a bowl of broth, and only getting a few spoonfuls in.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views